Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   OOT POLE TIME: Borat vs. Anchorman (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=375984)

samjjones 04-11-2007 12:23 PM

Re: OOT POLE TIME: Borat vs. Anchorman

[ QUOTE ]

The 5 way radio station fight >>> naked hotel room.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps on replay value. But I don't think I have ever laughed harder in a theater when seeing the latter for the first time.

samjjones 04-11-2007 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's my beef with Borat. I expected something pretty cerebral and instead it was really low-brow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dids - I thought the bed and breakfast sequence was very layered.

miajag 04-11-2007 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Borat hands down, what in Anchorman in funnier than the naked hotel room fight?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of things, if you're older than 12.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Borat quite a bit, but as others have pointed out, it's just shock comedy that gets old after a while.

Alobar 04-11-2007 12:32 PM

Just like every other will ferrell movie ever made, anchor man sucked. So Borat in a landslide

tuq 04-11-2007 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anchorman >>> Borat

[/ QUOTE ]
You've lost your mind. Maybe you left it in the bathroom on your way to lunch.

TheDudeAbides 04-11-2007 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's my beef with Borat. I expected something pretty cerebral and instead it was really low-brow.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about that. On the surface Borat seems like one long running gag, but I think it's more than that. The movie (and the show) really draws on people's ignorance and makes quite a statement about the American people in general (see: scene in RV with college kids, conversation with rodeo boss, etc).

Aloysius 04-11-2007 12:38 PM

I think there should be an "Anchorman on 1st viewing" and "Anchorman on 2nd viewing" option (it was maybe 10x funnier when I caught it again on HBO).

Still, I'm surprised by the poll results so far (30-21). I just assumed Borat in a landslide.

-Al

Dids 04-11-2007 12:40 PM

Al,

Yeah, I was lukewarm on Anchorman after the first, but on the second, it was just amazing and I've since watched it like another 10 times or something sick.

miajag 04-11-2007 12:43 PM

Yeah, I think a lot of people were so shocked and taken aback by the level of pure absurdity and silliness in Anchorman that they missed a lot of stuff on the first viewing. It definitely grew on me more over time, but the post-fight scene where they're sitting around the office discussing what happened is still the hardest I've ever laughed in a theater.

siccjay 04-11-2007 12:46 PM

For some reason Anchorman does get better and better, but I would have to watch it a billion times for it to catch Borat.

Borat is very cerebral. Much, much more than Will Ferrell.