Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Community (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Strange Ruling on EPT Dead Chip Pile (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=372486)

DonkeyChip 04-05-2007 08:52 AM

Re: Strange Ruling on EPT Dead Chip Pile

Do they try to make some sort of adjustment regarding moving players in cases like this? Remember last year when Gavin Smith had a 'dead stack' just to his left (I think that was a 6-max tourney but it still applies). All the other players relentlessly attacked GS's small blind, Gavin eventually makes a stand that he may not have normally made, etc. Seems like they should move a dead stack whenever possible (when moving players)...both to more evenly distribute the chips to other tables and to prevent putting someone in a bad table position for an extended time.

XXXNoahXXX 04-05-2007 08:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do they try to make some sort of adjustment regarding moving players in cases like this? Remember last year when Gavin Smith had a 'dead stack' just to his left (I think that was a 6-max tourney but it still applies). All the other players relentlessly attacked GS's small blind, Gavin eventually makes a stand that he may not have normally made, etc. Seems like they should move a dead stack whenever possible (when moving players)...both to more evenly distribute the chips to other tables and to prevent putting someone in a bad table position for an extended time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that if he had adjusted properly to this, it could have been profitable. Seems like he just picked a bad spot to take a stand.

MEJG2 04-05-2007 09:24 AM

I read a lot of articles last year about the extra chips in the WSOP ME, a number of them talked about how dead stacks are removed from play and not fully blinded off. Here is a quote from one I founds after a quick google...

From Poker News-

[ QUOTE ]
Dead Stacks:

In your local card room tournament, starting chip stacks are placed at available seats. If seats remain unoccupied, the "dead" stacks are blinded off and eventually removed from play, usually at the first break. There were no dead stacks in the Main Event of the WSOP. In fact, there were alternates seated each of the four Day Ones, which is how a room that seats only 2,080 players was able to accommodate 8,773 starters. No stack was blinded off unless the floor staff had verified with the registration desk that the seat had been paid for and assigned to a player. We witnessed this verification process on Day 1B and know this procedure was followed on all four Day Ones.

That being said, there was some evidence that a few stacks may have been blinded off in error. At least one player changed his starting day from Day 1A to Day 1C and through a clerical error he was still given a seat on Day 1A and his stack was completely blinded off. There are rumors that this may have happened more than once and that not all emergency cancellations and refunds were reflected in Harrah's registration database. But media who were in the tournament room did not report more than one empty seat in any of the four Day Ones and one of those players, Jennifer Leigh, actually showed up 5 ½ hours late and played her stack. If we factor in this mostly anecdotal evidence and err on the conservative side, we could be persuaded that 50,000 extra chips may have been introduced in error via the registration process

[/ QUOTE ]

Collin Moshman 04-05-2007 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thomas assured me that had those chips been bought
and paid for by a player who had registered but for some reason failed to showup, then they would remain on the table and be blinded off throughout the whole tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, good to know, and props for getting a real explanation!

Interesting stories from the WSOP as well.

Best Regards,
Collin