Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Found "time pot" really annoying (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=362183)

ScottHoward3.0 03-23-2007 11:31 AM

Re: Found \"time pot\" really annoying

[ QUOTE ]
No, I don't usually play live limit holdem, so I wasn't aware of all this chopping etiquette and time pots.

[/ QUOTE ]
oh, so youre saying youre a noob?

MrFizzbin 03-23-2007 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but chopping should never be based on your cards. Proper etiquette is that you either always chop or never chop, period.

Granted, some people find it rude/annoying when someone never chops, but they shouldn't, so long as they are consistent.

[/ QUOTE ] I would agree. One exception, AA, WHEN the room is running Aces Cracked or has a Bad Beat Jackpot. I simply say, "I can't" or "Check it down." when the option comes to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

be careful about that AA cracked/check it down thing, some rooms have a minimum pot size clause before they will pay off.

betgo 03-23-2007 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No, I don't usually play live limit holdem, so I wasn't aware of all this chopping etiquette and time pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
To 20/40 limit games. I usually play tournaments, NLHE, or mixed games.

Xanthro 03-23-2007 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
be careful about that AA cracked/check it down thing, some rooms have a minimum pot size clause before they will pay off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh why or why couldn't I have been at such a place when 13 consquetive showdown with AA I was cracked. I'd have made a killing. Sadly, I wasn't trying to get cracked, just unlucky and should have been more aggressive in some of the hands as well.

LasVegasMichael 03-23-2007 01:40 PM

It's true that with Aces cracked promotions, there is usually a minimum pot (usually $10-$20).

The onyl place in Vegas that does that program regularly is Excalibur, and though there is no pot minimum that I am aware of, it does need to go to showdown, of course.

SellingtheDrama 03-23-2007 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
To 20/40 limit games. I usually play tournaments, NLHE, or mixed games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not trying to pick a fight, but I've had time pots and chopping in Borg. NL as low as 2/5 (I've never not seen time pots in the 5/10 game). Mixed games I've had chopping, never played time pots in them generally...high/low split isn't as becoming to those.

Rootabager 03-23-2007 02:08 PM

I thought one of the reasons to chop is because of the high rake on just the blinds. Paying time doesnt have individual raked pots so I would think you would chop alot less.

ddubois 03-23-2007 02:28 PM

At Bay 101 for the $200 spread limit game, the blinds were $5 bb, $3 SB, and $2 on the button.

They take the drop if there's a raise, even if there's no flop. So if you raised your button instead of chopping, and the blinds folded, the dealer would take $5, and you'd be risking >$15 to win $3.

I'll never play there again.

Rick Nebiolo 03-23-2007 03:03 PM

I thought time pots where only used in higher limit games, maybe around 60/120 or 100/200 on up. It the Borgata practice of using it in a smaller game such as 20/40 used anywhere else?

~ Rick

GTL 03-23-2007 03:08 PM

sounds like you are a noob to the choping and time pots. it is considered very bad etiquette to look at your cards and then decide not to chop because you have a good hand. if you don't want to chop, just say so before looking at your cards and no one will be upset with you.