Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Where does Kobe rank among NBA superstars? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=359656)

CharlieDontSurf 03-20-2007 01:00 PM

Re: Where does Kobe rank among NBA superstars?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is it unrealistic to think that Kobe is in the same group as guys like Carmelo Anthony, Tracy McGrady, Paul Pierce, and Gilbert Arenas,

[/ QUOTE ] Its unrealistic to think these guys are anywhere near Kobe's level. T-Mac and Pierce will never get to his level, Carmelo isn't the same type of player, so he won't get to Kobe's level, and if Gilbert learns to play D, maybe he gets to Kobe's level. I am not even sure that Wade is at Kobe's level. I think all signs point to Lebron either getting to his level, or even surpasing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't Kobe's superior D and ability to light it up from behind the 3 point line put him pretty far above Wade?

Fallen Hero 03-20-2007 01:02 PM

"I don't know best how to come to the conclusion, whether you're trying to build a franchise or win this year. Base your decision off either assumption."

if we're basing our decision on building a franchise then this discussion has been done a ton of times in the last few months and Kobe isn't #1.

Spellmen 03-20-2007 01:02 PM

I think the Lakers have a really nice set of support pieces right now, especially if Bynum and Farmar continue to develop. The Lakers were surpasses most expectations early in the season, but losing Odom and Walton for so many games really, really hurt them. They may not be marquee players, but they both fit well into the triangle offense and force teams to cover a second option instead of double/triple teaming Kobe

To OPs first point, I also think a number of players could have won some rings with Shaq during that run, but that does not mean they are on Kobe's level.

gusmahler 03-20-2007 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"I don't know best how to come to the conclusion, whether you're trying to build a franchise or win this year. Base your decision off either assumption."

if we're basing our decision on building a franchise then this discussion has been done a ton of times in the last few months and Kobe isn't #1.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason you wouldn't build a franchise around him is because of age, not because he's behind other players.

Fallen Hero 03-20-2007 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason you wouldn't build a franchise around him is because of age, not because he's behind other players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, it doesn't change the fact that he wouldn't be #1

EvanJC 03-20-2007 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, it doesn't change the fact that he wouldn't be #1

[/ QUOTE ]

if we definied the parameters, kobe definitely might be my number 1. if its 2-4 years, i'd take kobe #1. he's just entering his prime, imo.

JupiterUWG 03-20-2007 01:36 PM

kobe is the best player in the league, followed by wade

MoreWineII 03-20-2007 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also want to add Kobe shats all over Nash.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't they completely different types of players?

Kobe's supporting cast must be dismal if all the #1 player in the league can do is muster up a 6, 7, or 8th seed every year. The thing is though, his supporting cast isn't that dismal.

I'm also surprised Kobe's putrid personality doesn't bother anyone. I submit that personality absolutely matters if you're 'trying to pick a player to build a team around'

Clarkmeister 03-20-2007 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing is though, his supporting cast isn't that dismal.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's worse than dismal. So bad that Smush Parker still plays significant minutes and Luke Walton is a critical player on the team.

Fallen Hero 03-20-2007 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm also surprised Kobe's putrid personality doesn't bother anyone. I submit that personality absolutely matters if you're 'trying to pick a player to build a team around'

[/ QUOTE ]

I also think this is a huge problem and everyone is underrating it, given the chance I would certainly take a less skilled player (within reason) without all the problems Kobe brings.