Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   S.A.D - Seasonal Affective Disorder (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=349470)

Yads 03-07-2007 07:03 PM

Re: S.A.D - Seasonal Affective Disorder

Get one of those lights for SAD.

IggyWH 03-07-2007 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3- she just kinda accepts that winter will be less awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, this is all you can really do. Don't harp on it or else it'll bring you down even more. Try to be as active and social as you possibly can.

It's almost painful to get myself motivated at times to go out on the weekends during the winter. Once you do it though, you feel much better and it gets easier the more you do it.

I definitely have SAD, which is definitely a big reason why I'm moving to San Diego. I'm not sure I can make it through another Pittsburgh winter without driving myself insane.

KRANTZ 03-07-2007 07:16 PM

dean,

clean your apartment. spend some money on some decorative stuff/more lights. i guarantee you you will be at least a little bit happier when everything is clean, comfortable and a bit homier.

Klompy 03-07-2007 07:22 PM

Going to a tanning bed usualy cheers me up.

PartyGirlUK 03-07-2007 07:56 PM

Mum - I never knew you posted on 2p2 under the 'Krantz' alias [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I was thinking of getting a cat. Not specifically for S.A.D but for general happiness. Dog would be good but I cant afford the time in my first year likely. Thoughts?

tsearcher 03-07-2007 08:11 PM

Like everyone else says, get those lights. Always go outside some time during the day. If you live or work in the city, this is real easy to do no matter what the weather. If it's real bad out, just hop from store to store. And go out at night too. The streets are lit up real nice.

If you are stuck in the suburbs this will be a little tougher. But you still should be able to step out of the office once in a while, like the smokers do. Every little bit of sunshine on the skin helps.

Also, get some good cold weather gear and force your self to spend the weekends outside. There's skating in the city and if enough snow skiing. Also there is tons of stuff to do up in WI.

One more thing, don't close your shades. Let the sun wake you up in the morning.

Hope that helps. It works for me.

TheGrasshopper 03-07-2007 08:20 PM

I would encourage you to buy travel magazines and plan trips that you won't take. I probably suffer a little from that and took that advice and it made the winter better.

PartyGirlUK 03-07-2007 10:34 PM

Unf for my first year Im gonna be working so hard that I wont have time for any fun or travel or life.

Skipbidder 03-07-2007 11:06 PM

I'm already looking at the available data for effectiveness of light therapy (for a friend). There is a recent study comparing SSRIs (the drug class that includes Prozac) to light therapy, which shows similar effectiveness between the two. I haven't nitpicked the study yet. I'll keep this thread bookmarked. After I finish the research, I'll post again here.

PartyGirlUK 03-07-2007 11:32 PM

Presumably even if you use one the other has benefit......