Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   $215: AA on button, UTG+1 shortie raises, reraise or flat call? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=347481)

Arcturus 03-05-2007 07:38 PM

Re: $215: AA on button, UTG+1 shortie raises, reraise or flat call?

This is just my two cents.

I think I would rather raise in this situation in order to get it heads up. Since you don't have any reads on the SB, other than he is the large stack at the table, a call could allow him to enter the pot with a lot of hands. Now I know you don't really fear what he would play since you have AA, but allowing more players in the hand will increase the chance that you lose it. If you can get HU with the preflop raiser AND get him to commit his stack, you will increase your stack to over 35% of your current value. That seems like too good of an opportunity to pass up.

Of course, as you mentioned, the down side to this is losing the chance to get other players committed to the pot, but I would be really PO'd if I let the SB in cheap and he hits a straight or something similar. Thoughts?

Mr.Poker 03-05-2007 08:25 PM

Well, after being pretty split between the raise and the call, I decided that UTG+1 had enough chips that it was worth me trying to get him to commit his stack PF, and figured he would be getting allin with a large % of the hands he raises from this position and for this much of his stack.

I raised to 7400, blinds folded, OR thought for about 30-40 seconds and folded. I was wondered whether the call was better, but i think on balance, I still think the reraise is better given the read on the blinds. The reraise amount was something I was quite curious about and im not sure whether this raise amount looks super strong or like a hand I could fold if one of the blinds comes over the top?

I guess aswell that UTG+1 generally pushes this 70-80% of the time and i just got unfortunate that he raised a marginal hand or could lay down a decent hand...

Any comments?

hamnegger 03-05-2007 10:18 PM

that small reraise reeks of monster i hate that play. you allowed him to get away by saying " hey i have kk or aa" raise to at least 10 -15 g this says your range is 99-aa aq ak

DiscipleAA 03-05-2007 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that small reraise reeks of monster i hate that play. you allowed him to get away by saying " hey i have kk or aa" raise to at least 10 -15 g this says your range is 99-aa aq ak

[/ QUOTE ]

This is basically what I was saying earlier... you will get much more action if you play the hand straightforward... considering how long the blinds had thought, if you made a standard re-raise one of them may even have come along for the ride or attempted to play back at you...

SuperUberBob 03-05-2007 11:20 PM

I'm re-raising. The raise came from early position, which would give me the general impression that my opponent has a pretty solid hand: the type that a player would be willing to commit their entire stack to later in the hand.

blankoblanco 03-05-2007 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

See, I don't understand why a small re-raise reeks of a monster here. Couldn't it also look exactly like you're attempting to isolate the short stack as cheaply as possible, so if one of the blinds wakes up with a big hand and re-raises, you can get away and lose the minimum?

themobfather 03-06-2007 12:52 AM

I just call a lot here too vs villian's stack size. If he decides to c-bet it will be such a large portion(or all) of his stack and he will be commited. I agree the minireraise here looks like a monster.