Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   limit take more skill (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=342276)

ill rich 02-28-2007 01:50 AM

Re: limit take more skill

i'm off to bed right now so i dont feel like typing out the exact reasons but i will say this:

1) limit takes more skill
2) luck is a bigger factor in limit

these two points don't contradict each other.

JJH3984 02-28-2007 02:02 AM

Whichever game has the worse players in it takes the least amount of skill.

Allday Everyday 02-28-2007 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Whichever game has the worse players in it takes the least amount of skill.

[/ QUOTE ]
Least amount of skill to play correctly? Or least amount of skill to win?

[ QUOTE ]
1) limit takes more skill
2) luck is a bigger factor in limit

these two points don't contradict each other.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with this.

Allday Everyday 02-28-2007 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
NL, I believe, requires less skill because of the ability to manipulate the pot and offer odds easily . Your ability to do that in limit requires more skill .

[/ QUOTE ]
This is my first FYP. How lame was my effort?

Harv72b 02-28-2007 02:44 AM

Limit does not take more skill. It just requires a different set of skills than NL (or PL).

I definitely agree that a great NL player has a much larger edge in his game than does a great limit player, though.

Allday Everyday 02-28-2007 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Limit does not take more skill. It just requires a different set of skills than NL (or PL).

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you saying the two games are equally difficult? Surely this isn't true. Or are you saying NL is more difficult?

[ QUOTE ]
I definitely agree that a great NL player has a much larger edge in his game than does a great limit player

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the vast majority of people to have played both games will agree with this. I agree with it. I just don't think it follows from this that NL is more difficult. That is, it could be that the best players is a NL game gain their large edge more easily than the best players in a LHE game gain their much smaller edge.

Harv72b 02-28-2007 03:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you saying the two games are equally difficult? Surely this isn't true. Or are you saying NL is more difficult?

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither. I'm saying it's like comparing apples to oranges--for some people, NL comes much more naturally. For others, LHE. Overall, I don't think that anyone could quantify which is the most difficult for the average person.

For me, personally, limit came much easier. Although I don't claim to be great at either game.

Yoshi63 02-28-2007 07:09 AM

Here is the overall consensus which I've normally heard: NL is easier than limit, but more emotionally tolling. It is tough in the sense that you can lose your whole buy-in on one bad call, but you can just as easily lose as much by a string of bad calls in limit.

If this is the case (NL is easier but harder emotionally), then shouldn't you factor the emotional difficulty into the overall difficulty of the game?

HoneyBadger 02-28-2007 07:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why deep stack pot limit and not deep stack no limit ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because pot limit combines some facts from NL and limit: you have to bet to build a pot. In NL there are times when a c/r is pointless as you could've just pushed. With PL a c/r has some advantage as it allows you to bet more.

[ QUOTE ]

Limit isn't about chasing and praying with crap cards.

[/ QUOTE ]
True. It's about never stopping to fire [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

farao 02-28-2007 09:07 AM

seriously, whats the point of the question? 100% the answer is subjective. What takes more skill, MotoGP or F1 on the same track?