Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Student Life (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   The "Lining up jobs" Thread, 2007 (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=331846)

mittman84 02-24-2007 07:25 PM

Re: The \"Lining up jobs\" Thread, 2007

I also passed unofficially. What are you going to put on your resume since the official grades dont come out for 6 weeks? I think I am going to put:

Passed exam P/1 (According to their new preliminary analysis, official numerical grade released in early April)

Thoughts?

almostbusto 02-24-2007 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also passed unofficially. What are you going to put on your resume since the official grades dont come out for 6 weeks? I think I am going to put:

Passed exam P/1 (According to their new preliminary analysis, official numerical grade released in early April)

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

i am pretty nervous about my resume as a whole, i have never had one and don't really know how to put one together (but it can't be that hard right?)... so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I am probably just going to put:

Passed SOA/CAS Exam P/1 Feb-07 (unofficial)

T50_Omaha8 02-24-2007 08:26 PM

Well, I'll update:

My parents sounded kinda pissed that I wanted to be an actuary. They apparently want me to go into consulting a lot now, which is strange because they were turned off by it at first. So I didn't even bring up/apply for TFA.

I'm doing interviews, and I hate it more than anything. I'm a double major in econ and geography with a math minor, a 4.0 cumulative GPA and numerous academic awards, 2 consulting internships, but I just really really suck at interviewing--to the point that they don't care about me looking pretty much perfect on paper. I hate talking to random people about myself, esepcially when I secretly think their company is full of crap and I'll despise my job. I might go the actuarial route just to enter a field where you're expected to be socially awkward and numbers-oriented.

I'm not worried about the probability exam too much. I know a whole lot about continuous random variables, etc so usually the discrete problems and set theory applications are pretty easy. I'll definitely have to brush up on finance, though.

almostbusto 02-24-2007 08:34 PM

Omaha

tell your parents to get off your back. seriously. what do with your life is an important question its not a question you should rely on other people to answer.

advice is fine. but them getting pissed at your decisions? disregard that entirely.

teajay 02-26-2007 01:47 PM

Juggling between Microsoft, Amazon.com and Lehman Brothers. I wish I could just gamble, drink beer and bang hot asian chicks all day though.

I dunno, brag or beat?

traz 02-26-2007 02:03 PM

ahh I have a bunch of interviews coming up with a bunch of big name companies, but I kinda wanna just sit at home and gamble.

I am destined to be a bum

catalyst 02-26-2007 03:50 PM

any other finance guys in boston graduating this semester and lining up jobs

dethgrind 02-26-2007 05:16 PM

"but I just really really suck at interviewing--to the point that they don't care about me looking pretty much perfect on paper. I hate talking to random people about myself, esepcially when I secretly think their company is full of crap and I'll despise my job."

I wouldn't bother going to the interviews if that's the attitude you're going to bring. I was in a similar boat when I graduated: perfect on paper but not at all thrilled about the prospect of working for these bs companies. Then I thought about it from their perspective. This guy has the credentials to work anywhere he wants, he's just gonna leave us as soon as he finds a better deal. You have to convince them that you're stoked about working for them and it helps a lot if that's actually true.

T50_Omaha8 02-26-2007 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"but I just really really suck at interviewing--to the point that they don't care about me looking pretty much perfect on paper. I hate talking to random people about myself, esepcially when I secretly think their company is full of crap and I'll despise my job."

I wouldn't bother going to the interviews if that's the attitude you're going to bring. I was in a similar boat when I graduated: perfect on paper but not at all thrilled about the prospect of working for these bs companies. Then I thought about it from their perspective. This guy has the credentials to work anywhere he wants, he's just gonna leave us as soon as he finds a better deal. You have to convince them that you're stoked about working for them and it helps a lot if that's actually true.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the advice, and I also get the "what's the point if it's obvious I don't even want this" feeling. Now I'm basically sick of having to deal with all this crap and feel like blowing off the whole job hunt thing as a whole. I'm currently pwning my combinatorics class, though.

Math grad school here I come?

kbinder 02-26-2007 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Math grad school here I come?

[/ QUOTE ]

what do you plan on doing with the math degree?