Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Staying off tilt (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=295948)

RedBaron__ 01-05-2007 05:45 AM

Re: Staying off tilt

I have had problems with tilt as well and during tilt I turn into loose aggressive maniac type of player [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I have noticed that when tilting I really don't give much thought to my decisions to call/bet/raise/fold/check, but rather take the action based on impulses. This of course leads to wrong decisions.

The way I plan to improve this is to force my self to think rationally also when running bad. To do this I need to improve the visibility of my decision making (this is something Alan N. Schoonmaker talked in his book if I remember correctly).

In practice I have decided to record my next sessions (e.g. with camtasia) and also record some commentary on why I played the hands the way I played them (something like in stoxtrader vidoes).

Hopefully this leads to following things:
i) The role of the commentor helps me to control my emotions
ii) it's easier for me review the hands afterwards when I can see the thinking behind my decisions
iii) this enables me to focus on specific hand and how to play it rather than the emotions caused by bad beats

After running bad it's hard for me to review my play and admit mistakes. I think this should also make the reviewing process easier and give better holistic view on my play.

So, this might something to try out...

kyzerjose 01-05-2007 08:24 AM

Have realistic expectations.

omaha 01-06-2007 05:11 AM

I tend to find my worst tilting is on the turn or river.

SO, i tighten up pf, this helps me hugely.

Of course, i also have a rule that i am allowed to raise pf any playable hand at a table of tighties, am allowed to cbet in position, but must fold to a raise, and am only allowed to continue if i have CORRECT odds to do so.

THis has helped my nlhe tourney game well.

I go aggro after the little pots, and immediately back off when i feel the FIRST bit of resistance.

Question for the army dude- WHat would you say to me if i turned up in the mess hall with my m16 loaded, safety off, and a couple of pins not in my grenades?

Well, I would suggest that if you consider the simple starting hand rules as set in stone as your weapons safety handling manuals, you are going to be safe.

If you proceed on the flop like ones military should in battle, calm, prepared, and with firepower and backup, then you should come out ahead.

SO, why not think of bluffing a calling station the equivilent of wearing a yellow and pink lycra bodysuit into the jungles instead of camoflague greens

You get the idea, you already know what you should be doing, but its more fun to play all the time isnt it?

Any one multitable? I found with 2 games going, i go better, because i dont play the trap hands, the minimally profitable ones that dont matter either way.

Just my 2c worth

Red_Diamond 01-06-2007 10:55 AM

For the reccord, I also have been trying to work on my tilt factor. I seem to go tilt always online, but never in B&M. I suppose because I know I'm being watched in B&M. No one is going to see me slam a mouse down and scream [censored] online. I believe I have improved somewhat, but I do get very angry when for example... the other night some DONKEY on my left kept trying to outplay me with pure garbage, and won 20 of 20 pots. Very large pots mind you, by rediculous runner runners.. busted sets to crazy backdoor flushes & straights.. AA KK and QQ always cracked! Not because he had a hand mind you, he just wanted to try to BLUFF me out, despite it never really worked.

This sort of scenario always makes me cringe and put doubts into my head as to what the hell I'm even doing. Sometimes a donkey just has you owned all session long and there is nothing you seem to be able to do about it.

What I DON'T do is type "nice river", or "Nice catch" which seems to be the norm. Something I remember Leaderer mentioning... never let a person know they got under your skin, it's best to show no emotion at all. That way they don't get that satisfaction out of you.

AlienBoy 01-06-2007 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
never let a person know they got under your skin, it's best to show no emotion at all. That way they don't get that satisfaction out of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good one.

AB

omaha 01-06-2007 11:59 PM

Why not say nice river, and keep encouraging their cruddy plays?

If you berate them, and they improve, you will be embarrassing them into playing better!

Splossy 01-10-2007 09:48 AM

I wish I knew the answer. I quite commonly build up a nice stack, take a couple of bad beats or a calling station or maniac join the table, throw me off my game and I end up make and calling big bets with air. This either leads to a very large or very small stack. Once my stack gets down to 1/3 of the buyin I might as well give it away since I am guaranteed to lose the rest in short time.

The closest I have got to controlling it is to rebuy if I lose much and to revert to nut peddling and making notes on people until I calm down. This works out better than what I otherwise do which is opening 3 more tables and playing like a monkey on acid.

MusashiStyle 01-11-2007 02:47 AM

err... poker is a game of 90% luck and 10% skill in the short term. This is probably why even supposedly "strong disciplined" individuals can't handle it. Because they are often punished despite their "superior" abilities, which is not the result they expect. they expect to be rewarded everytime they make the "correct" play.

hornpout 01-29-2007 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
they are often punished despite their "superior" abilities, which is not the result they expect. they expect to be rewarded everytime they make the "correct" play.

[/ QUOTE ]

this feeling can only be likened to your dog getting hit by a car.

Alex424 01-29-2007 07:24 AM

i used to be the world worst player for going on tilt - after a bad session i would lose hundreds of dollars on blackjack tables to try an win my money back.

The way i cured tilt to the point where i never tilt anymore is i lost nearly half my bankroll on 1 hand of blackjack. The feeling when i did this i cannot describe, but in a sick way i'm glad i did it as i never tilt anymore and in the long run because of this i have made money.

I obviously wouldn't recommend this, but as a last resort i needed to hit rock bottom to cure myself of this.