Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   AQ 6 handed vs. tight utg raiser (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=292776)

DP388 12-29-2006 04:28 PM

Re: AQ 6 handed vs. tight utg raiser

[ QUOTE ]
id call
that will get his attention plenty.
see flop and use your position to help decide next move

[/ QUOTE ]

I starting leaning towards this after reading a few posts and emailing some friends. But then I replied to a friend with this and I think folding is best. Email below:

----------------------------------------

My first reaction to the hand was "raise, I have AQ 6 handed". Then I thought some more and realized that any raise that defines my hand would commit about half my stack. I'm not a big fan of that. I also don't like to call short handed either. Sooooo...I said if I was gonna raise, I might as well push and put maximum pressure. Maybe I get him to fold a mid PP.

BUT, after thinking about the hand more, I think a push is horrible here. It's an overbet and I'm only going to get called by a hand that crushes me or some group of hands I'm flipping with. I'm never called by a hand that I'm ahead of. I'm also not in a position stack wise where I need to take a coin flip.

I think a fold is actually okay. Maybe a little weak, but the table was pretty tight and easy to run over, so no need to take away my advantage by potentially reducing my stack size.

I think a call is best though. I have position and I'm pretty sure that if this guy misses, he's likely checking to me anyway. So I can potentially win by hitting the flop or by missing the flop. The only problem is that I'm not crazy about most flops. If he does c-bet, I have no idea where I stand and I'm going to have to risk a lot to find out. Or I can look at the bet size and try to make a solid read...and potentially fold top pair if I need to. That would be a tough laydown, but given my stack size I might have to.

Let's say I do call the $3600. There is now 600+1200+antes (60x6=360) + 7200 = 9360. Let's say I hit my A or Q only and he leads for about 7K. If I raise "to see where I'm at", it has to be for my whole stack. Wow, that really sucks. If I call the flop, what am I supposed to do on the turn?

Basically, by calling pre-flop I'm hoping that
A. It's rags and he checks.
B. It's rags and he bets (which sux, but is an easy decision).
C. I hit an Ace with rags and he checks.
D. Hit a Queen with rags and he checks.
E. I flop some sort of monster.

In all of these scenarios except B& E, I'm also hoping that his check means weakness and not a trap.

That leaves a lot of flops that and plays that he can make that that kill my hand. Examples of some [censored] flops that also hit me (i.e. he can hit sets, straights, etc.).

AK9
AJT
QJT
QJx
QTx

Meh...I think I'm leaning toward folding pre-flop now.

Fold > call > push > raise

------------------------------------------

HappyOD 12-29-2006 07:27 PM

Re: AQ 6 handed vs. tight utg raiser

[ QUOTE ]
in this part 9/360 there were some supernits folding here is totally fine. you can steal as much as you want later.

[/ QUOTE ]

New thought for me. Thanks.