Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   ask me about eyes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=283453)

dknightx 12-14-2006 06:49 PM

Re: ask me about eyes

i got PRK about 1.5 years ago ... to this day, i sometimes wake up in the middle of the night and my eye(s) is super dry ... usually because the air is hot and dry (from a heater or just the environment). I usually wake up because it starts hurts when I move my eyes in my sleep (eye rubs against eye lid) ... i wake up and my eye is tearing up a lot, slightly swollen, and im super sensitive to light. Fix it by putting some eye drops in, and fall right back to sleep.

is there anything i can do to fix this? I tried using eye drop before bed ... and that seems to help. BTW, this probably happens once a week.

ThreeMartini 12-14-2006 06:52 PM

Does my Avatar have a slight Anisocoria on the right?

slim 12-14-2006 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
are you an md? i always get confused to whos who in the eye business.

[/ QUOTE ]

No...I'm an OD. Everybody gets us confused. Think of it this way

Optician = Pharmacist
Optometrist = Family Doctor
Ophthalmologist (MD) = Surgeon

Optician dispenses the glasses/contacts based on the presciption by the optometrist or ophthalmologist but he's not a "DR". An Optometrist is a "DR" but not an MD....kinda like a dentist or chiropractor.

slim 12-14-2006 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've seen a guy pop out his eye, dangle it down on a stalk, then jerk back his head to it arcs upwards, and catch it back in its socket.

Where can I learn this trick?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to see it to believe it and then I can show you.

slim 12-14-2006 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i got PRK about 1.5 years ago ... to this day, i sometimes wake up in the middle of the night and my eye(s) is super dry ... usually because the air is hot and dry (from a heater or just the environment). I usually wake up because it starts hurts when I move my eyes in my sleep (eye rubs against eye lid) ... i wake up and my eye is tearing up a lot, slightly swollen, and im super sensitive to light. Fix it by putting some eye drops in, and fall right back to sleep.

is there anything i can do to fix this? I tried using eye drop before bed ... and that seems to help. BTW, this probably happens once a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely sounds like a dry eye problem and certainly can be a result of PRK especially if you had a high RX initially. You can try a thicker eye drop that lasts longer especially coupled with what are called punctal plugs which are little silicone plugs inserted into the tear ducts to prevent your tears from draining away. Ask you eye doc.

slim 12-14-2006 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does my Avatar have a slight Anisocoria on the right?

[/ QUOTE ]

looks more like a iris coloboma to me. Hey no ECP's allowed on this thread!!

slim 12-14-2006 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
please answer my question in this thread:

eyes never grow??

[/ QUOTE ]

completely untrue.....eyeball growth is what causes nearsightedness.

wonderwes 12-14-2006 07:01 PM

So I wear contacts, hardly ever take them out. Well as the years has gone by my near sightness is now even worse. When I take them out my vision is bad. Very blurry. Will my vision need to have higher treatment than just contacts in a few years?

slim 12-14-2006 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I wear contacts, hardly ever take them out. Well as the years has gone by my near sightness is now even worse. When I take them out my vision is bad. Very blurry. Will my vision need to have higher treatment than just contacts in a few years?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what your question is. I can't tell you whether or not your prescription will get worse if that is what you are asking. But I'm pretty sure your RX is not nearly as bad as you think it is. Most patients descibe themselves as "blind" when their RX is average. What is your RX?

whodatdare 12-14-2006 07:15 PM

Is there any risk to wearing contacts while welding?