Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   BBV4Life (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   cheating death (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=283117)

Gildwulf 12-14-2006 11:39 AM

Re: cheating death

[ QUOTE ]
had nine guns pulled on me. have had gun put to my head.

been stabbed.

split a police road block on my gixxer doing 145 in a 40 mph zone.

was in a room when a glock accidentally went off.

had a jaguar (car) stop on my neck when i was 2 years old. lost a lot of sight in my left eye as a resuly. nearly died.

probably others, but thats all i care to recite.

[/ QUOTE ]

you forgot teh time you kicked chuck norris' ass in a fight to the death

nowags 12-14-2006 11:39 AM

a few REALLY close calls ice climbing. a couple memorable ones:

note: water ice (WI) ratings go from 1, ez, to 7, ridiculous. you are really good if you can climb a 5.

1. a WI6 in really thin conditions was probably a WI6x. at the top, i was run out about 70', looking at about a 130' or so ground fall. i was on a piece of ice about an inch thick, with air behind it. not even stuck to the rock. a large piece of the ice fell while i had one foot and one tool on it. the rest of the ice held on, and i stuck the route. most stressful climb of my life, so far.

2. Long's peak. Winter. we are descending from a route we were playing around on, and get to a point where we need to cross a big cliff on a ledge about a foot wide. nowhere to place protection, easy climbing, so we just go for it. it has moss for us to sink our ice tools in, and that goes great until the area i have my tools in sluffs, and hits me at the waist, knocking me backwards. i teeter for a few seconds, no hands, and somehow by the grace of God get my balance back, and lean back towards the cliff, where i now have plenty of nice spots for dry-tooling, where the moss was. if i hadn't got my balance back, it was 200'+ to the bottom of the cliff, and if i somehow survived that, 10 miles or so to the car.

ive done a few other dumb things too, but those were memorable.

SkinnyLittleTwig 12-14-2006 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
had a jaguar (car) stop on my neck when i was 2 years old. lost a lot of sight in my left eye as a resuly. nearly died.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, what? You had the weight of a car resting on your head? As a 2-year-old? How is that possible?

durkahdurkah 12-14-2006 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, what? You had the weight of a car resting on your head? As a 2-year-old? How is that possible?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o.../yugo_rear.jpg

Gildwulf 12-14-2006 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

have you seen his neck? the car is lucky it didn't fold in on itself

ICallHimGamblor 12-14-2006 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

2. Long's peak. Winter. we are descending from a route we were playing around on, and get to a point where we need to cross a big cliff on a ledge about a foot wide. nowhere to place protection, easy climbing, so we just go for it. it has moss for us to sink our ice tools in, and that goes great until the area i have my tools in sluffs, and hits me at the waist, knocking me backwards. i teeter for a few seconds, no hands, and somehow by the grace of God get my balance back, and lean back towards the cliff, where i now have plenty of nice spots for dry-tooling, where the moss was. if i hadn't got my balance back, it was 200'+ to the bottom of the cliff, and if i somehow survived that, 10 miles or so to the car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was this on "The Narrows" of the Keyhole Route?

I had a handhold come off in my hand on Mount Lindsay on a class 4 move and almost went backwards down the cliffs. The sudden movement tossed my ice axe off my backpack, and I heard it clanking all the way down the mountain to the bottom. Scary.

apefish 12-14-2006 11:57 AM

Couple events come to mind.
Got slammed into a random rock on the ocean floor up at bonzai pipeline body surfing.
Put my hands out just before impact to protect my head. Who knows how much damage I could have done to the head- but I did end up with broken bones in one hand. Close to death? maybe not. Certainly felt that way at the time though.
Second- I was diagnosed with diabetes two years ago and was in severe ketoacidosis when I finally went in.
On the charts at nutritional classes later we are asked to locate our A1C values and when asked I had to say "yeah... um... the chart doesnt go high enough."
The nutrionist says "okay- you are the one..."
16+ for anyone who knows anything about it.

CrazyIrishman 12-14-2006 12:20 PM

Flipped a car end over end going 85ish, air bag didn't deploy.
Completely annhilated the car, i came out without a scratch.

I also driving to the UP (upper penensula of Michigan) where I live on a northbound highway. I hit some black ice and somehow slid across the median and across the southbound lane with my truck still facing north. Hit the ditch on the other side without hitting any of the oncoming traffic...It was insane.

Knet 12-14-2006 12:25 PM

Playing football in a friend's front yard when I was about 12. Went out for a pass that was thrown towards the sidelines (street), it was overthrown and I continued to run after it. As I stepped into the street a car was coming at the same time, luckily it slammed on its brakes and barely bumped me.

SkinnyLittleTwig 12-14-2006 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

have you seen his neck? the car is lucky it didn't fold in on itself

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, forgot about that

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...pynen/baby.jpg