Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Sklansky's Hand (Two black hooks) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=280112)

Victor 12-11-2006 08:29 PM

Re: Sklansky\'s Hand (Two black hooks)

vegan, i like your title.

as for a line, as you played it i would just check and call the river.

veganmav 12-11-2006 08:33 PM

does anyone like a turn donk? at this point after under representing my hand, but with the queen on board, i'm not sure what to do exactly.

on the turn, i really think i should b asically know my line for the rest of the hand...

raze 12-11-2006 08:47 PM

When 'mixing it up preflop' I tend to cap more OOP, and simply call a 3bet in late position with a big hand in order to get in big-street raise. I think you're just giving up value by passing on a cap - he probably won't be calling down weaker hands when you hand him the initiative.

He knows ya well... so how often can he expect you to fold to his riv raise? How often do you b/f rivers as opposed to b/c?

Check/call seems very weak. He will call with a lot more losing hands than he'll bet if checked to. I bet, and probably fold to a raise.

raze 12-11-2006 08:48 PM

Title's ok, but I love that avatar, brilliance

ISF 12-11-2006 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone reccomend a better line? (asuming i played preflop the way i did)

[/ QUOTE ] I actually think a check call is fine here as he will bet any pair. This may even be a spot where check raising to save bets is an option. It looks so fishy that any pair is paying you off, and I dont think AA or KK will every three bet. I perfer this line to bet calling at least.

Surf 12-11-2006 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone reccomend a better line? (asuming i played preflop the way i did)

and no one likes the title? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get the title?

Postflop i'd probably play the same. The river is one of those "what does he know i know" situations, where you may be inducing a bluff raise or you might have to bet-fold, you would know the best response. I think most 50/100 players are going to VB a PP here anyway so it's a matter of making A-high call.

I'd cap preflop pretty much always with JJ here.. I don't think there is enough to be gained from deception (unless the flop is like J22 or something) that you will make it up postflop with any regularity.

Surf

veganmav 12-11-2006 11:29 PM

the title was in reference to a thread in sklanksy's forum about him and some strippers or soemthin.
he then deleted the thread
it can be found somwhere on the internet
and here is the thread explaining the deletion

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...;gonew=1#UNREAD

PeterPlan 12-14-2006 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
AA KK or AQ should have a pretty easy raise if he is thinking about your range.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the first reason why I would not go for that river bet, most of the hands that have you bet will raise and you cant fold your jacks. The second would be that you are trying to get value from hands he probably would check behind on the turn fairly often.

geormiet 12-14-2006 01:27 PM

This river play is exploitable and I don't like it. He'll raise a worse hand maybe as often as he calls A high. If he's playing good and is a good player he'll easily fold A high, knowing it's almost 100% impossible you called on a dry flop and turn with no hand in order to set up a river donk bluff.

Also I don't see the point in not capping pf to mix it up. I think if you want to mix it up, cap with more hands, don't smooth call with fewer ones.

donger 12-14-2006 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This river play is exploitable and I don't like it. He'll raise a worse hand maybe as often as he calls A high. If he's playing good and is a good player he'll easily fold A high, knowing it's almost 100% impossible you called on a dry flop and turn with no hand in order to set up a river donk bluff.

Also I don't see the point in not capping pf to mix it up. I think if you want to mix it up, cap with more hands, don't smooth call with fewer ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice post. I need to start reevaluating my A-high river calling freq in hands like this vs thinking players. This is almost never a bluff. It's only fish that really do this; they're most likely to find themselves at the river with 9 high and take a stab at it. From thinking players this is almost always a value oriented line.