Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Which Team Would Have the Best Chance to Beat Ohio State? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=275168)

SL__72 12-04-2006 11:20 PM

Re: Which Team Would Have the Best Chance to Beat Ohio State?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Whats with all the love for the 2 loss LSU team? Including a 13 point loss to Florida on the road.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are the overall most talented team in college football not named Ohio State.

[/ QUOTE ]

They might have a lot of talent, but that doesn't mean they have the best chance of beating OSU. Michigan lost to them by three points @OSU, with their best player just coming of arthroscopic surgery.

Most raw talent != best team. I personally wouldn't agree that they have more talent then the Wolverines, but my point is that even if they did, there are more things that go into being a good team then having talent. For starters: size, strength, speed, conditioning, experience, coaching and awareness.

SL__72 12-04-2006 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

And they consistently do not play up to their ability. What makes you think against the best team in the country it will be any different? Michigan beats OSU on a neutral field more often than LSU does.

[/ QUOTE ]

You say they consistently do not play up to their ability, I say they don't consistently play up to their ability, and there is a large difference in the two, however when LSU does play up to their ability they are basically a coin flip to win vs OSU on a neutral field. Where its my belief that Michigan is at best a 25% shot to beat OSU on a neutral field.

[/ QUOTE ]

25% is insanely low. Like not in the right ballpark.

MEbenhoe 12-04-2006 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

And they consistently do not play up to their ability. What makes you think against the best team in the country it will be any different? Michigan beats OSU on a neutral field more often than LSU does.

[/ QUOTE ]

You say they consistently do not play up to their ability, I say they don't consistently play up to their ability, and there is a large difference in the two, however when LSU does play up to their ability they are basically a coin flip to win vs OSU on a neutral field. Where its my belief that Michigan is at best a 25% shot to beat OSU on a neutral field.

[/ QUOTE ]

25% is insanely low. Like not in the right ballpark.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there were a rematch on a neutral field what do you think the line on the game would be?

DrunkIrish05 12-04-2006 11:24 PM

how'd you decide on the choices for the poll?

NozeCandy 12-04-2006 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That's the thing, they so rarely do play how they are capable of that they don't have the best chance of beating OSU. A slightly less talented UMich that rarely makes mistakes and is much more consistent has a better shot- in one game or over any sample size. FWIW I would give Michigan better than a 25% shot.

MEbenhoe 12-04-2006 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A slightly less talented UMich that rarely makes mistakes and is much more consistent has a better shot

[/ QUOTE ]

what team have you been watching?

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW I would give Michigan better than a 25% shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

again, rematch vs OSU on neutral field, what line do you put on the game?

SL__72 12-04-2006 11:31 PM

This is going to sound bad, but I don't even know how a "line" works. If I had to estimate though, I would put Michigan's chances of winning, in a neutral location, at ~45%.

Iplayboard 12-04-2006 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how'd you decide on the choices for the poll?

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried to think of every team that someone could reasonably vote for. Maybe I should have included a few more teams, but those teams wouldn't receive more than a couple votes at most anyway.

If your question is in regards to Notre Dame, I honestly feel that every team I listed is better. Also, Ohio State rolled them in the Fiesta Bowl last year + Michigan destroyed them this year + Notre Dame barely beat a Michigan State team that Ohio State smoked.

Also I left off Wisconsin, because although they might be better than some of the teams I listed, I think it is harder to argue they would have a good chance to beat Ohio State based on games involving common opponents (namely Michigan).

If you'd like to select a team I didn't list, feel free to pick other and specify who (just be prepared to be laughed at). [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

SuperUberBob 12-04-2006 11:59 PM

Michigan. And even that's a stretch for them to win.

NozeCandy 12-05-2006 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what team have you been watching?

[/ QUOTE ]
A team that is very solid and consistent when Manningham is healthy. They do not beat themselves.

[ QUOTE ]
again, rematch vs OSU on neutral field, what line do you put on the game?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not entirely sure about a line, but I would give Michigan around a 40% chance to win. I'm from Michigan and go to school in Louisiana, so I see plenty of LSU and UMich. All the games I've seen plus the first OSU/Mich game makes me lean toward Michigan when comparing them to LSU.