Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   A Profound Little Movie (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=274910)

Exsubmariner 12-12-2006 03:32 PM

Re: The unbearable truth

From your link:

[ QUOTE ]
The full realization of one's own mortality is mostly unbearable, absolutely terrifying and horrific. Man transcends this problem in the concept of heroism. By being heroic, man feels he has meaning, a purpose, something that will never die. One can be a hero to the eye of God, to the State, to the eyes of his peers, to his family, etc. Mental illness is thus most insightfully interpreted as a bogging down in one's hero system(s).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm kind of dubious on the universality of this statement. It is true that most cultures around the world have hero figures, particularly Western Civilization. All cultures have myths and stories, but not all of them revolve around heroism.

Is heroism really a "solution" in your opinion? Or is it simply best practice? To me, heroism isn't necessarily such a good idea in all situations. This is because the long odds against in many cases virtually ensure failure. What happens to your self esteem then, when you can't live up to your heroic ideals? A lot of people can't handle that. Those that do, I think, gain something approaching wisdom, but that is difficult to put in context.

Mickey Brausch 12-12-2006 03:49 PM

The "heroic" part is in the acceptance of one's position (predicament). And this means full and unqualified realization. Nietzsche spoke first of that Hero. He realized/postulated that this would be asking a human to be super-human.

If you're looking for a hero, try In Quest For The Hero.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Mickey Brausch

Exsubmariner 12-13-2006 02:50 PM

I was thinking more of the classical Achilles model of heroism. I suppose that does fit somewhat with the Nietzche model in that accepting ones perdicament, you are supposed to achieve a measure of freedom of action which you wouldn't have otherwise. Classical heroes reaching great feats is perhaps a metaphor for this freedom of action. There is something to be said for realizing you are going to die in the end anyway so you might as well die trying to make your death matter to something you care about.

I think I have seen that list of hero characteristics before, something about 27 traits you need to be a hero. Do you have a copy? I seem to remember they are pretty entertaining.

Mickey Brausch 12-13-2006 04:50 PM

For "classical" heroism, I have John Keegan, naturally, i.e. The Mask Of Command - and specifically the part about Alexander The Great (always with the first wave across the river). For "modern" heroism, it's Nietzche, Rank, Norman O. Brown, Becker. (Check out the dedication in Becker's major work.)

But our modern mentors on heroism diagnose the classical form of heroism as yet another form of quest for immortality. Every culture is, when all is said and done, a death-defying (and death-denying) system.

Mickey Brausch

Exsubmariner 12-13-2006 06:43 PM

A quick seach of the net produced this:

[ QUOTE ]
1. The hero's mother is a royal virgin
2. His father is a king and
3. often a near relative of the mother, but
4. the circumstances of his conception are unusual, and
5. he is also reputed to be the son of a god
6. at birth an attempt is made, usually by his father or maternal grandfather, to kill him, but
7. He is spirited away, and
8. Reared by foster-parents in a far country
9. We are told nothing of his childhood, but
10. On reaching manhood he returns or goes to his future kingdom.
11. After a victory over the king and or giant, dragon, or wild beast
12. He marries a princess, often the daughter of his predecessor and
13. becomes king
14. For a time he reigns uneventfully and
15. Prescribes laws but
16. later loses favor with the gods and or his people and
17. Is driven from from the throne and the city after which
18.He meets with a mysterious death
19. often at the top of a hill.
20. his children, if any, do not succeed him.
21. his body is not buried, but nevertheless
22. he has one or more holy sepulchres.

[/ QUOTE ]

From Here

I saw a list which was far funnier once. I think this list is more geared towards how a hero is constructed in myth. Indeed, many stories proceed with some slight variation of the themes above.

Of course, this is somewhat of an aside and doesn't really have anything to do with acceptance of your fate. Since I haven't read the book, does Becker go into any of the fabled heroes accepting their deaths?

I suppose a case could be made for Achilles going to the Trojan War knowing he would not return, but he wanted his name to live forever, so he felt the tradeoff was worth it.

So I guess that the definition of hero evolves a little. The new one smacks of existentialism, but we are dealing with Neitzsche. All one has to do to become a hero is accept that you are going to die.

Oddly enough, I think of this as a theme in military training. There was even a theme in the movie fight club about it. So Tyler Durden was manufacturing an army of heroes.... now that is interesting.

Mickey Brausch 12-14-2006 04:05 AM

Nil by mouth

[ QUOTE ]
Does [Rank] go into any of the fabled heroes accepting their deaths?

[/ QUOTE ]Here's your answer :

[ QUOTE ]
A case could be made for Achilles going to the Trojan War knowing he would not return, but he wanted his name to live forever, so he felt the tradeoff was worth it.

[/ QUOTE ] Understanding that the trade-off is actually an illusion we ourselves erect and that there is nothing really we can expect to "get" out of all this, is the heroic part.

[ QUOTE ]
All one has to do to become a hero is accept that you are going to die.

[/ QUOTE ] ...for nothing.

Dying for something can be, as the poet put it, "sweet".

Mickey Brausch