Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   I can't take college football seriously (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=274568)

bernie 12-04-2006 03:24 AM

Re: I can\'t take college football seriously

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Where in college can you throw a game(basically rest your starters after locking up home field), and still maintain your position in the national standings?

But it does generate more money for the NFL overall.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me know where in the NFL you can schedule CFL jobbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Note you're not denying that one can basically throw a game and still maintain it's position in the NFL playoff race.

The only one that really gets credit for playing cupcakes in college is Notre Dame. See all the press about them and how great they are in the 4 games prior to their meeting with USC.

b

goodsamaritan 12-04-2006 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

4 team divisions suck. Yay, a whole 6 division games that you can theoretically lose them all, yet still win your division. Wanna talk worthless games? Where in college can you throw a game(basically rest your starters after locking up home field), and still maintain your position in the national standings?

[/ QUOTE ]

Where in the pros do you see games where one team is a 30 point favorite? Who cares if there are more divisional games when half of them are just a formality

MyTurn2Raise 12-04-2006 03:30 AM

well....I don't like the 30 point spreads, but I don't like parity either.
The NFL often becomes who rides the variance train this week as both teams are real close to each other and whoever gets the break will win.
I miss the days of the Niners in the 80s when there were good teams and bad teams. Instead, there is an ill-defined collection of aggressively mediocre teams.

TheRover 12-04-2006 03:36 AM

I'm saying the difference between a couple teams resting some starters the last game of the season and major college football teams scheduling not only some crap ass teams that they are 4+ TD favorites over, but actually scheduling teams a division below them is not something in CFB's favor.

Let me know the next time you even see an NFL teams as a 3 touchdown dog.

critikal 12-04-2006 03:37 AM

A playoff system just gives a bunch of teams a chance to get lucky at the end of the season. There's been a NC game for quite a few years, it just rotates. The new NC game gives more teams a chance to play in a BCS bowl (i.e. ND) and is a joke.

TheRover 12-04-2006 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The NFL often becomes who rides the variance train this week as both teams are real close to each other and whoever gets the break will win.
I miss the days of the Niners in the 80s when there were good teams and bad teams. Instead, there is an ill-defined collection of aggressively mediocre teams.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only sport that has a reasonable argument for having the best team as champion the most often as the NFL is the NBA. Though they might be even better.

bernie 12-04-2006 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm saying the difference between a couple teams resting some starters the last game of the season and major college football teams scheduling not only some crap ass teams that they are 4+ TD favorites over, but actually scheduling teams a division below them is not something in CFB's favor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Houston might've been that big of dogs in some games the last couple years.

Actually, CFB teams scheduling crap teams or 1AA doesn't really help them.

Unless you're ND. Then everyone you beat is considered top 10.

b

bernie 12-04-2006 03:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The only sport that has a reasonable argument for having the best team as champion the most often as the NFL is the NBA. Though they might be even better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't this be MLB? Since they play the most games thereby having many more games to decide and seperate the good from bad?

I hate MLB, btw.

b

MyTurn2Raise 12-04-2006 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

did you see the list of college football champions I posted?
It's college football that identifies the best by far.

TheRover 12-04-2006 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Houston might've been that big of dogs in some games the last couple years.

Actually, CFB teams scheduling crap teams or 1AA doesn't really help them.

Unless you're ND. Then everyone you beat is considered top 10.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

OMFG MY POINT IS HOW EXACTLY THE HELL IS THAT DIFFERENT FROM RESTING YOUR STARTERS ONE WEEK, RARELY TWO, EXCEPT THAT IT HAPPENS LESS OFTEN IN THE NFL. IT'S PRETTY RIDICULOUS TO ACT LIKE COLLEGE FOOTBALL IS SUPERIOR IN THAT ASPECT. NICE JOB GETTING A DIG IN A NOTRE DAME AS WELL IT WAS VERY CLEVER IT HAD MAYBE BEEN AT LEAST 3 OR 4 POSTS BY YOU SINCE THE LAST TIME SO IT WAS CLEARLY OVERDUE