Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Special Sklansky Forum (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Chimpanzee Fight Question From El Diablo (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=271510)

pete fabrizio 11-30-2006 05:29 AM

Re: Chimpanzee Fight Question From El Diablo

"Can a 90-lb. chimp clobber a full-grown man?"
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_001b.html

Money quote: "In tests at the Bronx Zoo in 1924, a dynamometer--a scale that measures the mechanical force of a pull on a spring--was erected in the monkey house. A 165-pound male chimpanzee named "Boma" registered a pull of 847 pounds, using only his right hand (although he did have his feet braced against the wall, being somewhat hip, in his simian way, to the principles of leverage). A 165-pound man, by comparison, could manage a one-handed pull of about 210 pounds. Even more frightening, a female chimp, weighing a mere 135 pounds and going by the name of Suzette, checked in with a one-handed pull of 1,260 pounds."

David Sklansky 11-30-2006 05:50 AM

I already answered the question. Aside from a well placed eye gouge from the human, the chimp is the DEAD NUTS if he feels he is fighting to the death. Besides being strong enough to rip the guys head completely off, there is the fact that his REACH is twice that of the man and that he has hands that can GRIP on the ends of his LEGS.

Kilillan 11-30-2006 05:57 AM

let's see a jujitsu master put a chokehold on a monkey that can pull 1000 pounds.

puhlease

kdotsky 11-30-2006 06:18 AM

I only meant to point out that the UFC figher's abilities are probably underestimated, just as others were pointing out that a chimp's strength is underestimated.

I do think if certain chokes were fully set, the chimp could not get out. But the human could probably not get in this scenario in the first place.

A choke or submission would be more likely to work than some sort of "fatal blow" as was originally suggested.

TheOneWizard 11-30-2006 06:36 AM

I think one consideration is does the UFC Champion know about the fight beforehand and hence have time to prepare a specific strategy? For that matter why can't he simply cheat and bring a gun? Chimps can't do that.

joes28 11-30-2006 06:38 AM

I think a human would win because they would be able to go in to the fight with a strategy that the chimp wouldnt really know how to counter.

I think that the human would be able to keep the chimp at bay with strikes and eventually wear it down or the human may be able to circle the chimp and perform some sort of rear choke hold that would be lethal to the chimp, though because of the chimps flexibility in its arms and legs they may be able to escape.

I dont think the human would want to get into any sort of grappling where the chimp could use its teeth. Besides the fact that the chimp would probably give the human fighter aids, their teeth are really sharp and could do some huge damage. Not to mention how strong they are. I think a lot of the jiu jitsu moves that are effective on humans would not work on a chimp because of their flexibility and strength. So I think that a humnans best chance would be to circle and keep the chimp away with strikes.

Id love to see this fight and im sure we could get it to go down in some countries.... maybe even the US. It was only a few years ago when fox did the reality TV show Man Vrs Beast.

David Sklansky 11-30-2006 06:58 AM

For the fight to meet the criteria, the human would have to threaten the chimps baby or something like that. Or be in an enclosed cage where running away was not an option.

kdotsky 11-30-2006 07:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I already answered the question. Aside from a well placed eye gouge from the human, the chimp is the DEAD NUTS if he feels he is fighting to the death. Besides being strong enough to rip the guys head completely off, there is the fact that his REACH is twice that of the man and that he has hands that can GRIP on the ends of his LEGS.

[/ QUOTE ]

A well placed eye gouge is one of the last things that is going to win the fight for the human (and is why a UFC fighter would not be going for it). What's it going to do?

In fighting there's often a large difference between pain and danger. If the chimp is worried about being killed, he's not going to care that his eye got gouged, the pain is not going to affect him, and it doesn't physically impede him in any significant way.

snagglepuss 11-30-2006 07:09 AM

chimp would destroy any champion on the ufc save for liddel would knock it out in a bevy of punches.

bring the chimp to pride and it is another story. fedor could defeat the worlds number one fighting chimp, then eat its brains.

joes28 11-30-2006 07:17 AM

I just assumed the fight would be in the octagon. I think this still gives the human enough room to manuever. I think as the fighting area gets smaller the chimp gains more of an advantage.

Im starting to have some doubts about my pick of the human. I think it totally depends on whether or not the human can defend the chimps initial barrage by keeping his distance and strinking.