Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Does anyone have a job that they truly love? (besides poker) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=240120)

Toddy 10-19-2006 10:43 AM

Re: Does anyone have a job that they truly love? (besides poker)

[ QUOTE ]
how'd you get into tutoring? I used to do it in college and it sounds like a sweet way to pick up some extra cash and help kids out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went on craiglist. I get $28 ph under the table and for trig and calc its $35. Ya i mean its fun and its rewarding when they understand it they way I teach it

Toddy 10-19-2006 10:47 AM

The girl I tutored yesterday lived on a 500 acre ranch. Must have crazy money. When I say I love it.I mean I really love it.

Tutoring was from 5-630 and the mother came in and said, "Do you guys know its 7:15"? Then I sat and chatted w/ the family for about 45 mins. Seems kinda of boring for most people but I truly love it.

Sooga 10-19-2006 10:49 AM

Yea I teach math at a public high school in the L.A. suburbs... I can't say that I'm 'slap me I'm dreaming' sort of happy, but compared to what I was doing before (software programming), I definitely love this job.

punkass 10-19-2006 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The girl I tutored yesterday lived on a 500 acre ranch. Must have crazy money. When I say I love it.I mean I really love it.

Tutoring was from 5-630 and the mother came in and said, "Do you guys know its 7:15"? Then I sat and chatted w/ the family for about 45 mins. Seems kinda of boring for most people but I truly love it.

[/ QUOTE ]

girl must be hot

Toddy 10-19-2006 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

girl must be hot

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.. NO!

10-19-2006 11:05 AM

I write software and about 15% of the time I really love it. I solve hard problems, get my mind wrapped around the puzzle, crank out a bunch of code and unit tests.

70% of the time it's boring. It's bugs, escalated support issues I have to explain, meetings, etc.

The last 15% of the time I hate it. Idiotic management decisions that end up forcing me do really really stupid things that will just mean more work I can't stand in 3-6 weeks.

renodoc 10-19-2006 11:10 AM

My job rocks. Except when I get burnt out on it, but that isn't often.

southerndog 10-19-2006 11:14 AM

Tutoring will get old. The wrong students can really drain you.

For those of you that are wondering how to do it, go by college or hs math departments and let them know you do tutoring. You will start to get calls. If you are good, other people will refer you.

I'm just curious, how much do some of you get in different parts of the country. I've heard of people in the NY area making $70ish an hour.

kabouter 10-19-2006 11:16 AM

I quit my job. I could do without it, but I just want to find something I love. I'm almost in my master of Law now, but I'm not sure if working as a lawyer is what I want to do in 1-2years.

Maybe I should sign up for the army!

WhoIam 10-19-2006 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I write software and about 15% of the time I really love it. I solve hard problems, get my mind wrapped around the puzzle, crank out a bunch of code and unit tests.

70% of the time it's boring. It's bugs, escalated support issues I have to explain, meetings, etc.

The last 15% of the time I hate it. Idiotic management decisions that end up forcing me do really really stupid things that will just mean more work I can't stand in 3-6 weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is exactly how I feel about poker.

On topic: I would guess that the people who are happiest with their profession are those who are successful in the arts, (eg painters, musicians, filmmakers, photographers, etc.)