Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Business, Finance, and Investing (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Your Opinions About Jim Cramer (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=234777)

wpr101 10-14-2006 02:24 PM

Re: Your Opinions About Jim Cramer

His book "Confessions of a street addict is fantastic and explains his whole history. He doesn't claim to be perfect or even close.

Groty 10-16-2006 07:35 PM

Taking investment advise from a guy who bites the head off styrofoam bulls after BBQ-ing them while wearing a chef's must be +EV.

His value add to me is that I know he regularly talks to the hedgies, analysts, and sell side trading desks. I view him as a proxy for what those guys are thinking/doing.

NajdorfDefense 10-16-2006 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im new to the game. Dont know the darnest thing about investing. I figured I can learn some of the jargon by watching his CNBC show. I looked on the net and couldn't find any negetive comments about him.

Behind the wild antics is he a decent analyst?
How does his podcast, Action Alert PLus, and books compare to his show? Are they all solid too?

Thanks for the help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cramer did 30%+ a year, gross, at his Hedge Fund for 11.5 years or whatever. He was an amazing stock-picker, trader, and HF manager. You can learn tons by listening to him. I would NOT attempt to trade like him unless that is your style AND you are a 20-hours a day markets junkie.

He is a super-smart, downtoearth, nice guy in person.

theta 10-17-2006 12:13 PM

His antics got me back actively in the market for the first time since the bubble. That I give him credit for.

As for his stock picks, some worked out for me and some went south. For sure, you cannot listen blindly to him.
As he says "Buy and Homework".

Most frustratingly, he will often recommend buying a stock one week, and then selling it the very next week. Most folks, who are buy-and-hold investors, find this difficult to deal with. He proclaims himself very much NOT to be a buy-and-hold investor, which sets him apart from 90% of the advice in the books you'll read on the subject.

He recommends reading Investor's Business Daily, and since I've started doing that, I get 95% of my stock ideas there. It is momentum investing, to be sure, but if you also look at the fundamentals underneath the IBD100 stocks, you can find some jewels.

IMHO.

hanster 10-17-2006 07:46 PM

I talked to a big-time money manager from Smith-Barney couple of months back and he told me JC is simply for poor people/housewives who have no idea about investing and want to make money just buy investing in one stock, which is the opposite of "diversification and asset allocation", praised by many others

NajdorfDefense 10-18-2006 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I talked to a big-time money manager from Smith-Barney couple of months back and he told me JC is simply for poor people/housewives who have no idea about investing and want to make money just buy investing in one stock, which is the opposite of "diversification and asset allocation", praised by many others

[/ QUOTE ]

JJC active and specifically tells people NOT To do that on almost every show I've seen [not many, but consistent.]
He tells people not to even think about this stuff without doing lots of research and buying at least 5 stocks. which is really the least a new investor can do.

I'd be interested if the money mgr you spoke to has ever managed a several hundred million dollar hedge fund to 30%+ returns annually a la Cramer. Jealousy is rampant on Wall St.

pig4bill 10-19-2006 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

JJC active and specifically tells people NOT To do that on almost every show I've seen [not many, but consistent.]
He tells people not to even think about this stuff without doing lots of research and buying at least 5 stocks. which is really the least a new investor can do.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like you've never seen Mad Money. When he hypes a stock, he doesn't say to go out and buy 4 others in the same sector. He goes on a rant about a specific stock.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd be interested if the money mgr you spoke to has ever managed a several hundred million dollar hedge fund to 30%+ returns annually a la Cramer. Jealousy is rampant on Wall St.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's in the past. And it has very little to do with the hyping he does on tv. Some of the crap he hypes would never find it's way into the funds he used to run.

Thremp 10-19-2006 10:25 AM

Pig,

Jim recommends each person starting out have a portfolio of 5 stocks and do an hour of research on each per week. It is not to buy 4 other random stocks in a sector.

hanster 10-20-2006 03:07 AM

Only the beginning of the show are useful, where he did his research. When the housewives call in later at the show to ask for an opinion for a single company's stock then that's when Cramer goes crazy, no?

Uglyowl 10-20-2006 03:54 AM

http://booyahboyaudit.com/tools.performance.html