Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Radical Islam vs. Radical Christianity (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=213447)

Nepa 09-16-2006 12:54 AM

Re: Radical Islam vs. Radical Christianity

[ QUOTE ]
His ban expired or was lifted. I even hijacked a thread in ATF to welcome him back.

Back on topic, I disagree that radical Christianity is as dangerous as radical islam for the simple reason that I could count the number of Radical Christians I have heard of that want to murder people on my fingers. I also find it contemptable to call people essentially taking a political position dangerous, although calling their policy positions dangerous is fine (and the positions are dangerous).

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say anything about their political positions in the original post. Is being a Radical Christian a political position?

ShakeZula06 09-16-2006 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
His ban expired or was lifted. I even hijacked a thread in ATF to welcome him back.

Back on topic, I disagree that radical Christianity is as dangerous as radical islam for the simple reason that I could count the number of Radical Christians I have heard of that want to murder people on my fingers. I also find it contemptable to call people essentially taking a political position dangerous, although calling their policy positions dangerous is fine (and the positions are dangerous).

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say anything about their political positions in the original post. Is being a Radical Christian a political position?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are things such as defense of Israel that radical christians/evengelists seem to support as a whole.

Fact of the matter is anything radicallized is bad. Even if you consider christianity a good thing too much of a good thing is bad.

As for how bad Radical Christianity is, you'd have to look at all the things that have been done in the name of the Christian God. OF course there are good things, but a lot of bad too. I say this as someone who was a practising Christian up until a couple months ago.

jdock99 09-16-2006 06:40 AM

Something gives me the idea that if Rosie O'Donnell (an openly gay woman) had to choose to live in an Evangelical Christian town in South Carolina or a Radical Islam town in Saudi Arabia she would choose the former, as would 99% of all other people, including most Muslims in the world.

Broken Glass Can 09-16-2006 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Something gives me the idea that if Rosie O'Donnell (an openly gay woman) had to choose to live in an Evangelical Christian town in South Carolina or a Radical Islam town in Saudi Arabia she would choose the former, as would 99% of all other people, including most Muslims in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, do you mean to say that openly gay women are <u>allowed to live</u> in radical Islamic towns?

Mickey Brausch 09-16-2006 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good to be back. I had to promise to be good.

[/ QUOTE ]You mean, without knowing what you did wrong, you promised not to do it again.

Is this a poker website or what?

vulturesrow 09-16-2006 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Good to be back. I had to promise to be good.

[/ QUOTE ]You mean, without knowing what you did wrong, you promised not to do it again.

Is this a poker website or what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hear hear.

elscorcho768 09-16-2006 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Radical Christianity is just as threatening as Radical Islam

[/ QUOTE ]

In the entire scope of history, yes, of course, both are equalling threatening. In the current environment, that is aboslutely ridiculous. I think the latter is closer to Rosie's intentions. Since she is clearly a political idiot and not a scholar or intellect, her opinion on the subject normally shouldn't merit much thought. But it seems a lot of peope agree with this statement, which is troubling. People understood the threat of Nazism. I think everyone needs to understand the threat of Islamic fundamentalism.

elscorcho768 09-16-2006 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When an Iraqi hears Democracy the first thing that pops into their heads is Christianity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since we are apparantly just making things up now, let me say that when a baby hears applesauce, the first thing that pops into their heads is the theory of relativity.

The ironic thing is the same people who say the Iraq war was started by the Christian fundamentalists probably also say it was orchestrated by the predominantly Jewish Neo-Cons. It can't possibly be that an administration made up of people who believed in the necessity of the war began the war.

Nielsio 09-16-2006 04:50 PM

All religion is dangerous and harmful.

bisonbison 09-16-2006 07:01 PM

The rise of the christian right has moved the country to the right in the last 20 years, but the movement's successful spread has forced it to pander to a lot of moderate conservatives. People who might want sex-ed out of schools but who like american culture as long as they feel they can filter it for their kids.

They're so mainstream now that they couldn't imagine making a ruckus. The average religious conservative has a real hope of success in the law-abiding American mode. So their political pressure may hold certain things at bay (pot, gay marriage, science or arts funding), they're unlikely to really turn back the clock, and will feel threatened or dubious or embarressed when a fossil like Falwell gets on TV to suck ass.

You're always gonna have lone nutjobs and, 30% of the population is always gonna want ridiculous things, but the Jerry Falwells aren't going to turn back the clock without some serious American disasters.