Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   (2/4) Stealing with JTs (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=205410)

EvenFlow 09-06-2006 01:45 PM

Re: (2/4) Stealing with JTs

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone saying JTs shouldn't be raised UTG when not in a very loose game?

[/ QUOTE ]

6-handed I would fold UTG preflop if I'm running bad.

W. Deranged 09-06-2006 02:32 PM

1. People need to stop overusing the free card play, particularly in blind steal situations and in shorthanded games. It just doesn't work that often. When we get three-bet and bet into on the turn, we cost ourselves twice and much as we would have saved had our play worked.

2. I often like the delayed river raise with top pair in situations like this. Opponents:

a. Hate to fold anything to one more bet on the river if raised.
b. Don't like to three-bet anything but the nuts on the river.
c. Like to keep bluffing in heads-up situations.

All these things make me want to wait until the river with hands that are strong but which I don't want to get reraised with.

restless 09-07-2006 05:14 AM

so I think we've established that preflop is good, and flop is bad. I now I'm bound to make this flop mistake over again, but I'll try to maintain discipline.

On the turn, would anyone like to help me quantify the relative merits of raising the turn or waiting for the river. First, what are my possible lines here?

a) raise-fold turn, followed by bet-folding the turn on a good card? call a donk on the river if a scarecard hits?

b) call turn and raise-fold good rivers. call if a scarecard hits. if opp. checks I feel like I have to bet a safe card.

safe cards = non-hearts, no A,2,3,4,5,6 ??

Any other alternative line you would suggest?

BTW: I'm amazed that I'm actually even typing raise-fold in a hand with TP against an unknown. Isn't that overly FPS ???

Dagger78 09-07-2006 06:09 AM

I'm generally raising JTs in the CO first in. Against typical opponents it's a straight fold on the flop for me.

Peter Harris 09-07-2006 06:44 AM

good work, PF fine. flop is a peel and fold UI situation. I usually pop the turn in the heat of battle but a river raise is better, you're a lot less likely to be 3bet on the river (see Theory of Poker for more on this), plus you usually get the "wtf call" (did Guru coin this or just bring it to my attention).

nh.

ninenine_zoe 09-07-2006 08:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can't remember the last time I folded JTs preflop UTG

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dagger78 09-07-2006 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. People need to stop overusing the free card play, particularly in blind steal situations and in shorthanded games. It just doesn't work that often. When we get three-bet and bet into on the turn, we cost ourselves twice and much as we would have saved had our play worked.

2. I often like the delayed river raise with top pair in situations like this. Opponents:

a. Hate to fold anything to one more bet on the river if raised.
b. Don't like to three-bet anything but the nuts on the river.
c. Like to keep bluffing in heads-up situations.

All these things make me want to wait until the river with hands that are strong but which I don't want to get reraised with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I could just repost this as if it was my post, since this is really a great reply.

Thanks for the insight as usual W.

restless 09-08-2006 02:48 AM

thanx for the replies guys. Villain gave me the WTF call with 92h.