Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Book Recommendation Thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=194423)

edtost 08-23-2006 04:42 PM

Re: Book Recommendation Thread

the crying of lot 49 - thomas pynchon

On Top of the World: The Remarkable Story of Howard Lutnick, Cantor Fitzgerald, and the Twin Towers Attack - Thomas Barbash

and i'll second the dude's recommendation of the harry potter books, though if you've actually been keeping up to the movies, they cover book 4 at this point*, so start with 5.

* yeah, i know the 4th movie left out a lot of stuff, but so did 3, and reading the 4th book will seem like mainly a repeat to anyone who's seen the movie, even if they are missing some of the details that make things in the later books make sense.

dinopoker 08-23-2006 04:50 PM

MUST READ - Lonesome Dove, by Larry McMurty

Others I like:
Game, Set, Match - Hook, Line, Sinker - Faith, Hope, Charity, all by Len Deighton

The Spy who Came in From the Cold - John LeCarre

The Day Before Midnight - Stephen Hunter

Shogun - James Clavell
Tai Pan - James Clavell
Noble House - James Clavell

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

cfb1739 08-23-2006 04:57 PM

Do you want to learn or be entertained?

nicky g 08-23-2006 05:00 PM

Could you be a bit less specific please? We only have every book ever written to chose from. Couldn't you ask for reccomendations of "good or bad things" instead, so we have a bit more material to work with?

Foucault 08-23-2006 05:01 PM

Native Son by Richard Wright (very compelling book about race, poverty, and class politics that is especially interesting because the protagonist is not at all a sympathetic character, and several of the antagonists are- in my opinion a great novel and some of the most intelligent writing about race in America that I've read)

Labyrinths by Jorge Luis Borges (lots of good mind-[censored])

anything by Kurt Vonnegut (BoC is good but not my favorite)

The Razor's Edge by Somerset Maugham (highly recommended for anyone at a 'what-am-I-going-to-do?' phase of your life, ie just graduated high school/college, etc)

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (a quick, highly enjoyable read, despite the heavy content- don't be turned off if the first few pages read like gibberish to you)

Chaos by James Gleick (I suck at science and found this a pretty manageable overview of a very interesting and complex field, it's pretty dated though so there might be something better and more recent that someone can recommend)

CappyAA 08-23-2006 05:02 PM

Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs - Chuck Klosterman
The Tipping Point - Malcolm Gladwell
Fast Food Nation - Eric Schlosser (sp?)

onnel 08-24-2006 08:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. Most definitely the funniest thing you will ever read.

[/ QUOTE ]

AMEN!

Onnel

DipsetByrdGame 08-24-2006 08:27 AM

DONT READ ENDERS GAME. The ending is such a cop out. It is almost as bad as when a movie ends with the whole thing being a dream. Read "The Alchemist". It will change your life perspective forever.

cameronw01 08-24-2006 08:34 AM

Perfume - Patrick Suskind. I never know how widely known this book is, but if you haven't read it you should.

bnorthro 08-24-2006 08:39 AM

The Dark Tower series by Steven King. I'd heard a lot about this series so I figured I'd give it a read. I'm nearly done with it (started it this summer) and I haven't been able to put it down. It's really good, very easy reading too.