Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Squeeeeze (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=192605)

SamuraiDuck 08-21-2006 03:39 PM

Re: Squeeeeze

Hi guys, I'm sorry to detract from the strategy discussion, but please help a newbie out. I am aware of what the squeeze play is (when a player in early position raises and is cold called, and then you 3bet in late position), but I don't understand why this play is supposed to work? I understand that the initial raiser is often forced to muck his hand since he is going to be OOP against a cold caller and a re-raiser who have both shown a lot of PF strenth, but I don't understand why the cold caller is supposed to throw away his hand?

Al_Money 08-21-2006 03:39 PM

epdaws and others,

How often are you reraising vs. calling in hands 2 and 3? These are pretty much always calls for me.

epdaws 08-21-2006 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi guys, I'm sorry to detract from the strategy discussion, but please help a newbie out. I am aware of what the squeeze play is (when a player in early position raises and is cold called, and then you 3bet in late position), but I don't understand why this play is supposed to work? I understand that the initial raiser is often forced to muck his hand since he is going to be OOP against a cold caller and a re-raiser who have both shown a lot of PF strenth, but I don't understand why the cold caller is supposed to throw away his hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

What kinds of hands is a cold caller calling with that can stand a pot-sized raise? Or, to phrase it differently, what kinds of hands is a player usually cold-calling a PF raise with instead of re-raising himself?

Al_Money 08-21-2006 03:41 PM

The assumption is that the PF raiser will be afraid of not only your hand but also the coldcallers so the initial raiser will hopefully fold, then the coldcaller usually wont be too strong since he just called the raise and did not 3 bet himself.

the machine 08-21-2006 03:42 PM

im calling in both because im a nit but i like raising because of the doors it can open for you. raising with 67s is so sweet because your hand is so disguised esp when you flop something like a 6 7. raising a hand like this has to be complete opponenet dependent though

Jamougha 08-21-2006 03:42 PM

TBH, unless I have some kind of an idea how my opponents play I very rarely make 'moves' preflop. Too often it's just spewing. So, with no reads I would say I dislike all of them.

Given the right reads/image/flow I might make any of these plays I guess.

epdaws 08-21-2006 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
epdaws and others,

How often are you reraising vs. calling in hands 2 and 3. These are pretty much always calls for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hand 2 call 80%, though this will likely rise as I continue to move up in levels.

Hand 3: Raise 65%, call 35% or so.

bilbo-san 08-21-2006 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
epdaws and others,

How often are you reraising vs. calling in hands 2 and 3? These are pretty much always calls for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

The wider the raiser's range, the more often I re-raise. Your hand is too good to play for set value alone vs. a wide range, but you won't like playing 99 OOP on most flops unless you have some initiative.

Dan Bitel 08-21-2006 03:45 PM

all,

is hand 1 a fold then?

antidan444 08-21-2006 03:45 PM

I can play 99 OOP in a four-way raised pot postflop pretty easily most of the time ... if I don't have a set I'm done.