Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Another sushi thread - how do YOU eat it? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=181798)

4_2_it 08-08-2006 03:57 PM

Re: Another sushi thread - how do YOU eat it?

Sometimes I like a little piece of ginger on top as well. Of course, I am an uncultured barbarian when it comes to sushi [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

szw 08-08-2006 03:57 PM

I take a bit of wasabi and place it directly onto the sushi before I eat it. I like my keep my soy sauce clean. I'm weird like that.

offTopic 08-08-2006 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The poll asks me to explain "other," so my explanation is that I don't dip either side because I don't like soy sauce.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh. I'm a polltard for including "no soy sauce" in the first question, and not accounting for it in the second. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Personally, I'm plain and fingers-fish-side. I used to put a little bit of wasabi in the shoyu...I think that's because I ate a fair amount of sashimi growing up, though my parents usually had powdered hot mustard in the house and not wasabi.

Later, after hearing/reading about leaving it plain and understanding that the chef already added what he felt was the proper amount, I switched, and have not regretted it.

Concur on not dipping rice-side first...you folks should give dipping the fish side a try. I think you'll like the results better.

TroutMaskReplica 08-08-2006 04:02 PM

plain/fingers-fish side/eat in one mouthful

miajag 08-08-2006 04:02 PM

This thread makes it clear that I am a relative sushi noob. I had no idea it was acceptable to eat nigiri with your fingers, and I don't think I know anyone who dips the fish side as opposed to the rice side. FWIW I use a medium amount of wasabi in my soy sauce - more than most people i know, but not an excessive amount. A lot of people hate the taste but I think it really brings out the flavor of the sushi.

PITTM 08-08-2006 06:27 PM

fingers, rice side, no wasabi. why would you put the soy sauce on the fish? the rice absorbs it like a champ.

rj

Duke 08-08-2006 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AHHHH! Dipping rice side into soy sauce will cause it to soak up too much soy sauce, and overpower the flavor of the fish!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the point. The fish tastes fishy, and I pick which ones I like based on texture.

~D

JaBlue 08-08-2006 06:31 PM

soy only and with fingers. Don't really like nigiri.

According to alton brown, who is the authority on all food matters, sushi is finger food. So I eat it that way.

arsoisaen 08-08-2006 08:05 PM

fingers, fish side, straight up soy sauce b/c any respectable japanese chef will already have the wasabi inside the nigiri, make sure you place the fish on your tongue when putting it in.

its not how i do it, its how your supposed to do it =P

punkass 08-08-2006 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
AHHHH! Dipping rice side into soy sauce will cause it to soak up too much soy sauce, and overpower the flavor of the fish!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the point. The fish tastes fishy, and I pick which ones I like based on texture.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

If your sushi tastes fishy, then you're getting bad fish.