Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Strategy for Democrats (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=177905)

iron81 08-03-2006 04:43 PM

Re: Strategy for Democrats

I agree with NT concerning the problems with Hillary running. But I am not so sure that Hillary's heart is with the Left. I have more faith than most people when it concerns politicians and I believe that Pols mouths are almost always within the vicinity of their hearts. I also come from the same hometown as Hillary, where she was a Young Republican. Plus, even if Hillary were a closet liberal, if she ever won she would probably continue to govern toward the middle similar to her husband. Oh, and:

[ QUOTE ]
As long as Howard Dean is the head of the party, you guys have no chance. None.

[/ QUOTE ]
ORLY?

Edit: I think this thread will be a good early test whether Politics will work well here. Hillary inspires a lot of anger in this country and if this forum can handle a Hillary debate it can handle anything.

MrWookie 08-03-2006 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly the kind of thing I want to keep out of TLDR. This sort of "Us Vs. Them" crap is pointless and promotes flaming, not discussion. Consider this fair warning.

iron81 08-03-2006 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly the kind of thing I want to keep out of TLDR. This sort of "Us Vs. Them" crap is pointless and promotes flaming, not discussion. Consider this fair warning.

[/ QUOTE ]
Although I am fine with this and will try to lead discussion away from this direction in the future:

[ QUOTE ]
We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto.

[/ QUOTE ]

TBZ 08-03-2006 05:28 PM

First. CNN = Clinton News Network.

Second. My comment was a simple answer to the original question. Strategy for the Dems? Dean will be your downfall. My prediction is Dean will be replaced before then 2008 elections.

"The guy is an idiot." <<< That's a quote from my dear mom who is a national delagate from Minnesota! The most liberal state this side of New York!

Ok, That will probably be my last post re: politics. Back to poker.

Thanks.

MrWookie 08-03-2006 05:33 PM

Actually, I think a lot of the success of political posts in TLDR is going to hinge on the absence of "sides" in a thread. Look at the start of this one. People started out thoughtfully discussing how to improve the Democrat's position in the latest election, and it seemed to be pretty reasonable. However, when it degenerates into "sides," it starts to look like everything that non-Politards hate about the late Politics forum. I don't care if the sides are Repubs vs. Dems, conservatives vs. liberals, Roe vs. Wade, Israelis vs. Arabs, chocolate vs. vanilla, or Kirk vs. Picard, the more "sides" face off, the less welcome politics will be in TLDR or any other forum.

I think the more polarized political threads become, the more opportunity there is for hurling insults, cheap shots, and inflammatory remarks at the expense of well-natured discussion.

Aloysius 08-03-2006 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Add to this that she is a woman (no chance), that her husband was impeached and she will be tied to every scandal in that White House all over again, that she is a Senator and they typically fare worse than state-level executives, and that she is from the northeast, and you pretty much have a recipe for losing an election that the Democrats have no business losing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will look back sadly on this great summary when I am watching Hilary accept the Dem nomination [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

-Al

TomCollins 08-03-2006 06:01 PM

Which is it?

Aloysius 08-03-2006 06:30 PM

TC - I think it's kind of a no-brainer that Hilary moving to the right is much less about her political philosophy, and much more about positioning herself for a run at the White House.

-Al

diebitter 08-03-2006 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the more polarized political threads become, the more opportunity there is for hurling insults, cheap shots, and inflammatory remarks at the expense of well-natured discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put.

All, be familiar with the punishment system given in the sticky on this forum. We ban here for banworthy posts only, but we are more free in giving out suspensions to rule-breakers than other forums, and each suspension given to an individual can only get longer than the last one. Once you've been suspended for a day (a 'b1'), your next one will be AT LEAST a b2 - and the number only gets bigger.

Why do we do this? To educate as well as punish. Time away tends to focus the mind.

Bear all this in mind when you see something that makes you angry and you are preparing to reply without thinking through the consequences...10 minutes away from the forum cooling down might be better than a day or two locked out, right?

diebitter 08-03-2006 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First. CNN = Clinton News Network.

Second. My comment was a simple answer to the original question. Strategy for the Dems? Dean will be your downfall. My prediction is Dean will be replaced before then 2008 elections.

"The guy is an idiot." <<< That's a quote from my dear mom who is a national delagate from Minnesota! The most liberal state this side of New York!

Ok, That will probably be my last post re: politics. Back to poker.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you make any more, I or another mod will suspend you for at least 5 days.

I'm leaving this post as an example of what NOT to post here. This guy was lucky, Wookie gave him a warning not to post again before I saw it, otherwise he'd have got at least a few days away from posting. Look and learn, people.

db