Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   **Trading Deadline Thread ** (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=174150)

junglewarfare 07-30-2006 02:06 PM

Re: **Trading Deadline Thread **

cj henry + matt smith + small player x + $$$$$$

for

abreu and lidle

i like it for the yankees

TheRover 07-30-2006 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reported the Yankees will send 18-year-old minor-league shrotstop C.J. Henry -- their No. 1 pick in 2005 -- and 27-year-old left-handed reliever Matt Smith. The Phillies will also pick one other minor-leauge player from an agreed-upon list, while the Yankees will take on responsibility for Abreu and Lidle's contracts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I right that the Phillies are saying, "please, just take him and his bloated salary"? What they're getting in return is basically garbage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

4 High 07-30-2006 02:17 PM

Sadly a great deal for the yanks.

andyfox 07-30-2006 02:39 PM

Does this mean they don't expect Sheffield and/or Matsui back this year? And that, regardless, Sheffield will not be back next year anyway

brettbrettr 07-30-2006 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does this mean they don't expect Sheffield and/or Matsui back this year? And that, regardless, Sheffield will not be back next year anyway

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they expect both back. And even though Sheffield is a goner after this year, the emergance of Melky makes me wonder why in the hell we needed a(nother) $15m outfielder.

Karak567 07-30-2006 02:43 PM

I am most excited about the .427 OBP

CharlieDontSurf 07-30-2006 02:49 PM

I'd be shocked if sheff comes back and is full strength
Matsui maybe.

Abreu>>>>>guil/bernie/bubba
Lidle>>>>>>ponson/wright

We don't loose any major prospects or proctor.

We can handle more money, plus we haven't picked up Abreu's option...its the Yankees.

brettbrettr 07-30-2006 02:52 PM

I read Abreu would verto any trade that didn't involve his option being picked up. That happen or no?

Sheff and Matsui are both supposedly ahead of schedule. I'm not saying the'll be full stregnth, but I wouldn't bet $15M against it. Especially when the platoon is servicable. Anyhoo, we gave up exactly nothing, and its George's money, so why not. If we didn't pick up Abreau's option I love it.

NT! 07-30-2006 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they expect both back. And even though Sheffield is a goner after this year, the emergance of Melky makes me wonder why in the hell we needed a(nother) $15m outfielder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Either they Melky or Bubba will probably turn into a pitcher before next year. Probably Melky since he's worth more in trade and whoever stays is going to be a PR/backup/utility kind of guy.

This trade makes me so sad. I'm predicting right now that Abreu hits about .350 in August.

NT

LegallyBlind 07-30-2006 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I read Abreu would verto any trade that didn't involve his option being picked up. That happen or no?

Sheff and Matsui are both supposedly ahead of schedule. I'm not saying the'll be full stregnth, but I wouldn't bet $15M against it. Especially when the platoon is servicable. Anyhoo, we gave up exactly nothing, and its George's money, so why not. If we didn't pick up Abreau's option I love it.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, yankees didn't have to pick up his option