Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Does God exist? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=132223)

CallMeIshmael 06-07-2006 01:58 AM

Re: Does God exist?

[ QUOTE ]
It's impossible to know whether God exists or even to determine a probability thereof.

[/ QUOTE ]

Schwartzy61 06-07-2006 02:06 AM

I'm afraid to say no because God might strike me down...

Lestat 06-07-2006 02:37 AM

<font color="blue"> Please answer "yes" or "no", </font>

No.

<font color="blue"> and then explain your answer. </font>

No explanation is necessary. Not a single human being who has ever walked the earth has seen God. A lot of explanation is necessary if you want to claim God does exist.

Lestat 06-07-2006 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's impossible to know whether God exists or even to determine a probability thereof.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the same way it is impossible to know if a falling tree makes a sound if no one is around to hear it?

Andrew Karpinski 06-07-2006 03:46 AM

All the beings in the milky way decided to figure out the answer to this question once and for all. They linked up their computer systems, gathering computational power from over one hundred thousand civilizations, and millions of different planets. They asked their computer one question :

Is there a God.

With lightning quickness it answered.

There is now.

aeest400 06-07-2006 06:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I think it would be within God's capacities to make his existence known. He's just a bit of a practical joker with a cruel streak. Like a school bully who wants to be worshipped (why?).

godBoy 06-07-2006 07:24 AM

yes,

Everything that has beginning has a cause..
The universe had a beginning. 1 reason.

Nielsio 06-07-2006 07:45 AM

Eh?

[ QUOTE ]
A simple yes or no question. Please answer "yes" or "no", and then explain your answer.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does *what* exist? You are assuming that religion is part of knowledge; that there is a theory of god; that there is a definition which makes it relate to other knowledge and can be disproven theoretically or proven empirically.

This assumption is false.

"Scientific ideas, like all memes, are subject to a kind of natural selection, and this might look superficially virus-like. But the selective forces that scrutinize scientific ideas are not arbitrary and capricious. They are exacting, well-honed rules, and they do not favor pointless self-serving behavior. They favor all the virtues laid out in textbooks of standard methodology: testability, evidential support, precision, quantifiability, consistency, intersubjectivity, repeatability, universality, progressiveness, independence of cultural milieu, and so on. Faith spreads despite a total lack of every single one of these virtues."
http://www.simonyi.ox.ac.uk/dawkins/Worl...sesofmind.shtml

MidGe 06-07-2006 08:18 AM

NO.

If he did, the only humane, not poker player, response would be to stand up against the tyrant.

For those who think we will never know for sure, it is a totally trivial question since we will only know the answer too late, and till then, there are too many flavours available as choice.

Andrew Karpinski 06-07-2006 09:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
NO.

If he did, the only humane, not poker player, response would be to stand up against the tyrant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell yes.

God : I'm going to pretend I don't exist and if you don't figure out that I do exist despite the fact that I created the universe in a manner so that any rational person finds belief in me impossible I am going to torture you for infinity.

Me : Go to hell [censored].