Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Big river fold in level 1. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=128059)

0evg0 06-02-2006 01:35 AM

Re: Big river fold in level 1.

[ QUOTE ]
I think that the ideal play here would be to go into check/call mode, so you don't have to put your tournament life on the line with a really tough decision.

By checking the river you also give the villain the opportunity to stab at it with hands like 99 or 88, maybe even a frustrated QQ.... Plus if he hit his jack on a hand like AJ he's going to value bet it too. I just dont think that leading out on the river is the ideal play here.

-mantis

[/ QUOTE ]

WELCOME

And not just because you said C/C too.

nath 06-02-2006 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

i have trouble ever making a big laydown on FT - there's some momos there that'd push with some really weird hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ansky 06-02-2006 02:28 AM

Yo betting river is definitely standard, and so is folding to a raise.

GB, I highly doubt he is going to be betting those hands with showdown value that you mentioned.

0evg0 06-02-2006 03:03 AM

I'm guilty of underestimating opponents too often, but this isn't a 109r we're talking. It's a $75 tourney on FTP. I think there's a number of hands Villain bets on the river besides AQ/Full House.

Basically by betting, we are almost never going to be just called here. We are broadcasting what we have, and are either going to get a reraise or a fold in turn.

So to that I ask the board's favorite question: Is this a value bet or a bluff?

Obviously it's not a bluff, but I don't think we're getting any value here.

Foucault 06-02-2006 08:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
put your tournament life on the line

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not from around here, are you? :-)

AceLuby 06-02-2006 10:26 AM

Put yourself in Villains shoes. If you had the nuts (FH) would you push like this, or would you bet just enough to entice a call? If you had the near nuts (Straight) I think a push only gets called by a FH or another straight (which the villain may be a total donk and not recognize this) so I think a call/showdown would be in order. My guess is that this push is a donked up AA/AK (or even KJ, I've seen this at this level) and a call is in order. The line is so messed up that it seems unlikely that he had the nuts.

Foucault 06-02-2006 11:35 AM

It's pretty obvious Hero has trips or better, so a push from the nuts would be perfectly reasonable on the river, as many players will not fold a 3 for any amount of money.

jskinn04 06-02-2006 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's pretty obvious Hero has trips or better, so a push from the nuts would be perfectly reasonable on the river, as many players will not fold a 3 for any amount of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

iMsoLucky0 06-02-2006 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
put your tournament life on the line

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not from around here, are you? :-)

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he's not. But he's still a helluva player and we could all learn something from him.

nath 06-02-2006 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yo betting river is definitely standard, and so is folding to a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, but have you PLAYED on Full Tilt? People do this with KJ, JT, any busted draw (not that there are any really)... and also, any 3.

I like the fold in a vacuum but I don't think I'd be able to make it given the weird [censored] I've seen. I think the way the hand played out though it's probably KK/JJ and I'd be kicking myself for not making it.