Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   NOTHING INTERESTS ME...Motivational problem or LIFE problem??? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=127905)

MyTurn2Raise 06-03-2006 03:07 AM

Re: NOTHING INTERESTS ME...Motivational problem or LIFE problem???

Read this book

Fro 06-06-2006 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've thought about joining the military b/c I am somewhat of a sociopath...I really have no emotions and bottle tons of [censored] inside...but physically I don't know if I could handle it...

[/ QUOTE ]

Think twice about this. There aren't any job in the military (that I know of) where being a sociopath is an advantage. In my experience the exact opposite is true. The military is pretty much a mindless bureaucracy where personal relationships and people skills take precedence over anything else. Even the willingness to shoot strangers or do the task that was assigned to you.

As for the physical aspect ask yourself 3 questions:

1) Can you run for 25 minutes without dying

2) Can you do 8 pull-ups

3) Can you convince a stranger to lie about your ability to do 100 sit ups if you promise to do the same for them

If you answered yes then congrats. Your ready to be one the few and the proud. Basically, if you can walk and talk, don't worry about it.

Some Pig 06-06-2006 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(I'm a long time poster who is obv posting under a gimmick)

[/ QUOTE ]

The mods will know who you are thru your ISP. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Having said this, I think what you need are compelling goals. Things, situations, and activities to strive for to get yourself pumped up and get excited about. Go within and try to find out what is trully meaningful in your life.

fortunesknave 06-06-2006 04:48 PM

I agree with those who respond that this is common for recent graduates. You're entering a different lifestyle where the measurements for success are more abstract, further in the distance, and more self-determined. It's quite an adjustment, and it can leave you feeling like you're not really moving at all.

It may seem like a stupid suggestion, but if you aren't under tremendous pressure to pay back school loans, look into a volunteering opportunity that pays living expenses. I just got this in the mail yesterday. It's an opportunity to take care of big cats rescued from bad situations. If I were just out of college, without a family and bills to pay, I'd love to do something like this.

There's all kinds of opportunities abroad and at home that would give you the time to define who you want to be and what you want to do, while you have irreplaceable experiences that will be meaningful to you for the rest of your life.

killphilNI 06-06-2006 07:36 PM

As someone else quite rightly pointed out, what you are describing sounds like anhedonia (loss of pleasure). It's a common feature of depression. How has your sleep been? What about your appetite? What about your general mood? Do you feel unhappy?

Other than that spend more time with your friends and family, almost always helps.

kimchi 06-06-2006 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
( have some cash saved (~20K),

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people graduate with the same in debt.

Buy a one-way ticket to somewhere OUTSIDE the US and don't come back for a year.

I felt the same when I graduated, I bought a 1 way ticket - except I never returned to the UK.

Not looked back since

Mayhap 06-06-2006 10:39 PM

Read Carlos Castenada.

Beermantm 06-07-2006 03:27 AM

Go to a doctor now!!! This is an apperent cry for help and help is very hard to find........ at least the right help is.

Sounds like a cronic depressive disorder.

TomBrooks 06-13-2006 06:09 AM

Do you feel like there is nobody else as interesting as you are?

Spleen 06-13-2006 09:38 PM

Join the Peace Corps, do some good for a couple of years in a [censored] third world country, likely you will experience pretty bad living environments and will quickly figure out what interests you by doing what does not. An added bonus is that at the end of the day you will feel good about yourself whle gaining perspective, it will also look good on a resume for when you do give a [censored] about the future.