Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   MLB theoretical All-Star team (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=115596)

Kneel B4 Zod 05-17-2006 05:01 PM

Re: MLB theoretical All-Star team

[ QUOTE ]
I like Bonds at DH.

[/ QUOTE ]

there is no way the current incarnation of Bonds belongs on this team, even at DH.

THAY3R 05-17-2006 05:02 PM

Soriano would be a horrible selection.

Every player should have at least a .350 OBP.

sublime 05-17-2006 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Arod (SS)
Cabrera (3b)
Pujols (1b)
Ortiz (DH)
Manny (LF)
Vlad (RF)
A. Jones (CF)
Utley (2b)
V. Martinez (C)

SP: Santana
Closer: Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

i think i would keep Arod at 3B, because i dont trust (know?) about cabreras glove at 3B. Arod is average at that position and at the plater they are probably equalish. i can then put tejada at SS, where he is still above average. so its either:

Arod/Tejada
Cabrera/Arod

offense you obviously take cabrera, but i think the defense factor swings it to tejada. i think arod would be slightly below average at SS at this point.

i put jason bay on the team, and manny wouldnt even be my second choice.

DH is close, giambi is right up there along with hafner and ortiz.

the rest seems fine. i suppose you could argue about the SP selection, but johan probably is best choice. ryan seems to be the obvious selection at this time.

New001 05-17-2006 05:07 PM

I think I'd put Jason Giambi as DH (maybe Manny Ramirez. I like Giambi more though), Jason Bay in LF, and start Roy Halladay. Closer would be Mariano Rivera.

ColdCaller 05-17-2006 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Arod (SS)
Cabrera (3b)
Pujols (1b)
Ortiz (DH)
Manny (LF)
Vlad (RF)
A. Jones (CF)
Utley (2b)
V. Martinez (C)

SP: Santana
Closer: Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

SS: Alex Rodriguez
3b: Miguel Cabrera
2b: Chase Utley
1b: Derrek Lee
LF: Manny Ramirez
RF: Brian Giles
CF: Jason Bay
C: Joe Mauer (or Victor, it could go either way)
DH: Albert Pujols

SP: Jake Peavy
Relief: Johan Santana
Closer: Mariano Rivera

This proves that Brian Giles and Jake Peavy are absurdly underrated.

EDIT: Vlad or Abreu over Giles is probably better at this point though, I must admit.

New001 05-17-2006 05:18 PM

I think Guerrero is better than Giles at this point.

Edit: Just saw the edit. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

PokerFink 05-17-2006 05:22 PM

I just clicked this to make sure you had Utley in there.

capone0 05-17-2006 05:23 PM

I don't know much about Jason Bay but looking at his stats, they aren't all that impressive this year, .265, 6 HR, 20 RBIs, 4 SB and he plays LF (correct me if I'm wrong). He's there instead of Jones who is the yearly Golden Glove Winner + 2nd in the MVP vote who is batting .294, 9 HRs and 39 RBI and 3 SB...Hmmmm...

Giles is batting .273 with 3 Hrs and 21 RBis, over Vlade, Blake (Cleveland), Ichiro, Mags, etc.

Utley, not too familar with him but 2b seems to be a very horrible position, stats wise.

ColdCaller 05-17-2006 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know much about Jason Bay but looking at his stats, they aren't all that impressive this year, .265, 6 HR, 20 RBIs, 4 SB and he plays LF (correct me if I'm wrong). He's there instead of Jones who is the yearly Golden Glove Winner + 2nd in the MVP vote who is batting .294, 9 HRs and 39 RBI and 3 SB...Hmmmm...

Giles is batting .273 with 3 Hrs and 21 RBis, over Vlade, Blake (Cleveland), Ichiro, Mags, etc.

Utley, not too familar with him but 2b seems to be a very horrible position, stats wise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, Jason Bay was the fourth most valuable player last year and extremely +++ on defense.

EDIT: And you think Utley is bad because of what, 30 games of the 2006 season? Jesus.

THAY3R 05-17-2006 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, there's this thing called On Base Percentage...