Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Business, Finance, and Investing (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   College summer internship: ibanks and hedge funds (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=321527)

chisness 02-02-2007 02:11 PM

Re: College summer internship: ibanks and hedge funds

Ahnuld, are you a junior or senior?

ahnuld 02-02-2007 02:51 PM

junior, graduating in spring of '08

Mediocre_Player 02-02-2007 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm an Engineering/Econ major in 3rd year and have decided that finance seems a lot more exciting.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a douche ... ERTW obv.

chisness 02-02-2007 11:43 PM

engineers rule the world? To clarify that I meant a job using the Econ degree not the Engineering one (e.g. working at merrill lynch not motorola) -- meant finance seems more exciting than engineering

Mediocre_Player 02-03-2007 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
engineers rule the world? To clarify that I meant a job using the Econ degree not the Engineering one (e.g. working at merrill lynch not motorola) -- meant finance seems more exciting than engineering

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you meant, was just making fun of you [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

AE6 02-03-2007 09:31 PM

hey, can some of you guys who seem to know what's up talk a bit more about the best way to go about getting an ibanking summer internship? i'm a sophomore right now, and hopefully would like to get something lined up for summer 08. what kinda stuff should i be doing now to increase my chances?

ahnuld 02-04-2007 04:12 AM

do things that show you are involved in school. But honestly the main thing they look for is GPA. I know that is deppressing but its true. It is the main factor in getting a first round interview. After that its part technical, part behavioral. SO if you want to prepare, aim for things that show you are a good team worker, you have alot of stamina, and you pay attention to detail.

burkoboy 02-05-2007 12:42 AM

please keep this discussion going, I actually emailed Goldman Sachs today. I want to see if I can intern in Australia next winter or something.....

I need good ideas/things to do.....

crazy canuck 02-05-2007 02:28 AM

It makes things a lot easier if you have some connection...for example ask your profs who have consulted with some companies. Then, ask the prof for a contact within the company.

If you don't know which profs to contact, ask the department secretary or you can e-mail profs directly (empirical profs obviously).

jumbojacks 02-05-2007 04:32 AM

I think having connections is really understated, especially for these finance type jobs. A lot of friends I know who are part of professional organizations/fraternities all received a ton of offers for first round interviews, which even those are pretty selective. From my estimates, only about 5-10 students are chosen per office for the first-round, with only about 1-2 students advancing from that school, if any at all.

I'm also a junior in Engineering looking for jobs in finance. I didn't make any second-round cuts, but at least I have an internship lined up somewhat related to what I'd like to be doing. I'd also be interested in connecting with other 2p2ers taking a similar route and where some of you guys might get placed.