Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Russell finally signed (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=498346)

stormstarter28 09-11-2007 01:11 PM

Re: Russell finally signed

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
6 more years of failure

plz do something about these preposterous rookie contracts for those drafted at or near the top

[/ QUOTE ]

what do you have in mind? teams should just draft better :{

[/ QUOTE ]

The obv answer is to have a set contract deal for each draft slot, like the NBA. No negotiations, no bitching and moaning, just signing the deal and getting to camp on time.

The only issue is position value (for example, a DT would make more than a QB taken right after him), which is a little silly. I wouldn't know how to remedy this. Any ideas?

kyleb 09-11-2007 01:14 PM

Set contract deals are stupid. We don't live in the USSR.

Thremp 09-11-2007 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
6 more years of failure

plz do something about these preposterous rookie contracts for those drafted at or near the top

[/ QUOTE ]

You just have no clue. This guy has so much talent it's unbelieveable.

His biggest problem is being so good that he thinks he can make the impossible throw. A decent QB coach can fix that in no time, then the Raider have a franchise QB for the next 12 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

What planet do you live on? Did you ever watch him play?

His decision making is pretty terrible. And thats probably far and away what sets apart great NFL QBs from poor ones.

Dudd 09-11-2007 02:07 PM

He did have a pretty high completion percentage. I'll admit I didn't watch too many LSU games, or at least none that really stuck with me, but it seems difficult to consistently make poor decisions and still throw for 67% completion percentage.

stormstarter28 09-11-2007 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the NBA doesn't live there either, and they seem to do just fine with set contracts.

kidcolin 09-11-2007 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the NBA doesn't live there either, and they seem to do just fine with set contracts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a net positive for the NBA, but it does have some side effects. Good rookies are incredible values, so there's incentive to lose. I'm not even talking about the Oden/Durant sweepstakes. Guys like Al Jefferson, Dwight Howard, etc, were some of the most productive players at their position and they're dirt cheap. Teams would be stupid not to try to grab up that talent instead of signing the Z-Bo's of the world to max money.

Vyse 09-11-2007 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nba has best rookie deals in all of sports.

gusmahler 09-11-2007 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nba has best rookie deals in all of sports.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the team's perspective. Not from the player's. (Unless you really think Lebron James deserves to be paid less than Joe Smith in each of James's first 4 seasons.)

Gregatron 09-11-2007 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... busts like russell.

[/ QUOTE ]
Let's calm down and see him play in the NFL for a while before we crown him the next Tim Couch.

Gregatron 09-11-2007 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He did have a pretty high completion percentage. I'll admit I didn't watch too many LSU games, or at least none that really stuck with me, but it seems difficult to consistently make poor decisions and still throw for 67% completion percentage.

[/ QUOTE ]
I watched Russell very closely over his LSU career.

Freshman: made horrible decisions

Sophomore: made decent, though not great decisions

Junior: started at above average decision making, ending the year making very good ones.