Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   AL Cy Young Winner (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=545232)

Suigin406 11-13-2007 03:33 PM

Re: AL Cy Young Winner

strange, after the ALCS, i figured beckett would get the nod with the momentum, but whatever, sabathia was outstanding during the regular season

Kneel B4 Zod 11-13-2007 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
strange, after the ALCS, i figured beckett would get the nod with the momentum, but whatever, sabathia was outstanding during the regular season

[/ QUOTE ]

voting is done before the playoffs. if it's a regular season + posteason award, Beckett wins unanimously

34TheTruth34 11-13-2007 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if you're leveling or not, but they vote after the end of the regular season and before the playoffs start. If playoffs performances were allowed to be included, surely Beckett and Tulo would have won.

Suigin406 11-13-2007 03:38 PM

whoops, sorry...

Sykes 11-13-2007 04:03 PM

How does the only 20 game winner in the Major League not win the Cy Young award?

Also, playoffs should really be added to this award as well. Regular season is crap compared to playoffs. No one cares if you win 110 games in regular season if you lose in the first round.

Rubeskies 11-13-2007 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How does the only 20 game winner in the Major League not win the Cy Young award?

Also, playoffs should really be added to this award as well. Regular season is crap compared to playoffs. No one cares if you win 110 games in regular season if you lose in the first round.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOLOL....Level??!?!?!?

kidcolin 11-13-2007 04:05 PM

pretty obvious choice. Congrats CC.

Needle77 11-13-2007 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know who should have won it, but Sabathia did win 19. It's not like he won 16, he won one less game. 20 is just a number, Randy Johnson might not get 300 wins does that mean he doesn't deserve the hall of fame?(I know horrible analogy).

Sykes 11-13-2007 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know who should have won it, but Sabathia did win 19. It's not like he won 16, he won one less game. 20 is just a number, Randy Johnson might not get 300 wins does that mean he doesn't deserve the hall of fame?(I know horrible analogy).

[/ QUOTE ]

K, Didn't know he had 19, I thought CC went something like 17-9. I know he lead the league in innings pitched so I guess that has to say something with longevity in games.

However, my point still stands, playoffs should matter in the voting.

300 wins is totally different. It's basically like 500HR discussion these days. Usually 500HR meant first ballot hall of fame. Not true anymore. Usually less than 300 wins meant you're not getting on first ballot. That's becoming less and less true as the years go by.

Back then, pitchers use to go on 2-3 day rest between games. Now we have pitchers go on 4-5-6 days rest between games. This is why Cy Young's record of 511 wins will never be broken because the game we play today is totally different then the game of back then.

MikeyPatriot 11-13-2007 04:10 PM

It amazes me how many 2p2ers still use flawed statistics.