Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Ask Anklebreaker about soccer (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=232175)

anklebreaker 10-09-2006 08:18 PM

Re: Ask Anklebreaker about soccer

[ QUOTE ]
Why do we suck at soccer
so much?

[/ QUOTE ]

Partly because of the way soccer is coached here at the grassroots- as a "play-based" game, much like basketball. This stunts vision and the free-flowing play that we see in South America and Europe. Primacy is given to speed and stregth- the US players are some of the fittest in the game.

Also, soccer here is institutionally weak.

valenzuela 10-09-2006 08:23 PM

Isnt Liverpool the best team to support in the entire world?

anklebreaker 10-09-2006 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why do italians and south americans where their soccer socks low instead of up to their knee?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm... I'm not sure what you mean. In professional soccer the Italians and South Americans definitely wear their socks high. Socks are worn high when you wanna wear shin-guards.

JasonK 10-09-2006 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why do we suck at soccer
so much?

[/ QUOTE ]

Partly because of the way soccer is coached here at the grassroots- as a "play-based" game, much like basketball. This stunts vision and the free-flowing play that we see in South America and Europe. Primacy is given to speed and stregth- the US players are some of the fittest in the game.

Also, soccer here is institutionally weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kids soccer coaches here are a joke. They don't know the rules, have no clue about strategy, and don't know how to teach and encourage the youths. I thought I was gonna have to throw down with my 6 yo son's coach this weekend when he got all pissy after I called him out on one of his misdeeds.

Victor 10-09-2006 08:26 PM

best way to develop soccer talent is to simply let the kids play. no coaching. no drills. small fields. focus on fun.

when they reach adolescence, say 10 thru 13, its time to focus heavily on ball skills and core movements.

by high school tactics and tactical speed should be incorporated.

jaffa 10-09-2006 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
best way to develop soccer talent is to simply let the kids play. no coaching. no drills. small fields. focus on fun.

when they reach adolescence, say 10 thru 13, its time to focus heavily on ball skills and core movements.

by high school tactics and tactical speed should be incorporated.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is generally the brazilian approach is it not?

Victor 10-09-2006 08:29 PM

jaffa, im not sure but its just the approach that makes the most sense to me after playing for 20 yrs.

theBruiser500 10-09-2006 08:30 PM

ankle do you play soccer? what is your relation to soccer and your history with it

anklebreaker 10-09-2006 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why does nobody ever want to play in defence?

I played in defence tonight as i always do and it's awesome fun.

Also, Jose Mouriniho (sp?) - love him or hate him?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mostly glory- people wanna score goals, make plays and beat defenders. Most people who like playing D are fast and aggresive.

As for Mourinho, he's a master tactician and good motivator. I think he's a slag heap though, after his stunts with Barca.

Sasha Cohen 10-09-2006 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a reason it is the most popular game of the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because most people are poor.