Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Insurance in tournaments (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=475881)

helter skelter 08-13-2007 09:42 PM

Re: Insurance in tournaments

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
74o? Sounds like niether one of them cared about the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

go troll somewhere else

[/ QUOTE ]

Was I trolling? First of all, this wasn't my post, I was just responding to it. 2nd of all, I was making or agreeing with the point that it seemed like a publicity stunt, rather than an attempt to win or save money.

These replys added to the thread and were helpful in better understanding the situation.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, to be fair, the guy who called was in the BB and was getting good odds. One hand before, Hellmuth was UTG+1 and raised something like 40% of his stack with K6o only to fold to a reraise, despite getting 2-to-1. That left Hellmuth with about 70,000 in chips, which was something like 3-4 BBs. The very next hand when Hellmuth picked up AA, he made it 40,000 to go, everyone folded around to the BB. Assuming the blinds were 10,000/20,000, the BB was getting odds of (70+30)/50 or 2-to-1 to put Hellmuth all in. Hellmuth's raising range here is certainly not limited to big pairs, so I think the BB was getting the odds he needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

And that's why you lay down the K6 even though the math/internet kids say you have to call...so you can wait for the next hand to pick up AA...it's all about patience something you can't learn when playing by the math...just because you put in 40% of your stack doesn't mean you have to call an all in with king high

[/ QUOTE ]

Yours served no purpose except to alienate people. If you don't like the thread, why don't you just close it and move on.

donquay 08-13-2007 11:43 PM

wow I didn't think anyone would respond by my post in a serious manner because I thought it was obvious I was kidding.

I was poking fun at Hellmuth because it was essentially what he was "bragging" to his wife after he doubled with the AA the next hand...ie. "see honey that's why you lay the K6 down blah blah"

I know I'm new to the site and this is the strategy forum but I didn't think this kind of humour is out of place when making fun of Hellmuth's ridiculous play.

MJBuddy 08-13-2007 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow I didn't think anyone would respond by my post in a serious manner because I thought it was obvious I was kidding.

I was poking fun at Hellmuth because it was essentially what he was "bragging" to his wife after he doubled with the AA the next hand...ie. "see honey that's why you lay the K6 down blah blah"

I know I'm new to the site and this is the strategy forum but I didn't think this kind of humour is out of place when making fun of Hellmuth's ridiculous play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just laugh and post a picture like http://www.clemson.edu/caah/history/...s/leveling.jpg

Even if you get caught and treated like an idiot for something, just post that picture and you'll be instantly clever.

donquay 08-14-2007 12:08 AM

I guess I was being too clever for my own good since no one "got" me. Either that or not nearly clever enough.

On topic with the thread: I really can't comprehend why PH would be taking the insurance. It would seem that Hellmuth didn't really care that he ended up paying more to Ivey than he actually cashed...shows that he cares more about the bracelet than the $$. But if that's the case, why bother with insurance? You either get the bracelet or you don't; it's not like the insurance payoff would have brought any solace to losing.

valenzuela 08-14-2007 01:45 AM

Why take insurance when you can just make a deal with the other guys on the table?

Lohu79 08-14-2007 04:45 AM

After thinking about the situation somewhat more thoroughly, i come to this conclusion: all what helmuth did was to make a side bet with ivey calling it insurance and accepting bad odds for some reason. In reality, he increased his variance, because he made a relatively big side bet on a hand that had wasnīt worth that much in itself (for the real worth of tournament chips on a wsop final table is about a third of their nominal value).
Since it is not so easy anymore to make deals with the other finalists (i.e. you canīt do it in public) I thought taking insurance from outsiders could be an alternative (of course not in the way helmuth did it).
But apparently nobody ever heard of it... Thanks for your answers.