Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Golf (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Fun Tiger hypothetical (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=416899)

Moonshine 06-01-2007 02:22 PM

Re: Fun Tiger hypothetical

i honestly think i could beat tiger if the cup were only twice the regulation diameter.

LimitGod 06-01-2007 02:57 PM

I don't know if you guys know about this. But a larger cup was introduced to the PGA tour back in the day. The man behind the plan was the late Paul Runyan, a famour player and teaching professional known for his legendary short game and lack of distance off the tee. Well, when this was implemented for a short period of time he dominated. Next time you play, watched your putts go past the hole, think if that hole was twice the size would it have gone in. You'll see that you could make a ton of putts from every distance.

Also, distance control is much less of a factor.

sandycove 06-01-2007 03:50 PM

Hogan was pretty much convinced that putting had no proper place in a game of golf and, late career, Snead tended to agree.

I was a 7 at my best (with a first-time 78 at Old Head and an opening 82 at Baltusrol) and can guarantee you that on a major tournament course, with a tournament set-up, neither me nor any other 7 would break a buck. With a medal stroke differential of no fewer than 35 strokes, the size of the hole is irrelevant.

On a familiar course that doesn't stretch too far, I still need 20 pops, without factoring in the pressure, so to be sure to get in the money, I want the green to represent the hole and leave the putter at home. If it's match play, half the green would do...

I recall Trevino advising that if you couldn't break par, first time out on an unfamiliar course, for money, not to bother turning pro. And Tiger is hardly a journeyman... The least gifted of these touring professionals are not even slightly like us, even at our best (it just looks that way). And Tiger is like nobody, maybe ever...

jdeane 06-01-2007 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hogan was pretty much convinced that putting had no proper place in a game of golf and, late career, Snead tended to agree.

I was a 7 at my best (with a first-time 78 at Old Head and an opening 82 at Baltusrol) and can guarantee you that on a major tournament course, with a tournament set-up, neither me nor any other 7 would break a buck. With a medal stroke differential of no fewer than 35 strokes, the size of the hole is irrelevant.

On a familiar course that doesn't stretch too far, I still need 20 pops, without factoring in the pressure, so to be sure to get in the money, I want the green to represent the hole and leave the putter at home. If it's match play, half the green would do...

I recall Trevino advising that if you couldn't break par, first time out on an unfamiliar course, for money, not to bother turning pro. And Tiger is hardly a journeyman... The least gifted of these touring professionals are not even slightly like us, even at our best (it just looks that way). And Tiger is like nobody, maybe ever...

[/ QUOTE ]

winner...

JTrout 06-01-2007 04:18 PM

Fun question!
My current handicap is +3.
I think I'd need at least 5 shots a round to be competitive with Tiger.
My guess is that I'd improve 5 shots a round if the hole were 50% bigger.
But if this is a one-time match, and figuring in the "choke" factor,
I'd want the hole to be twice as big as normal.
Yeah, if the hole were twice as big for me, I could take him! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
<font color="white"> maybe </font>

Justin A 06-01-2007 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fun question!
Yeah, if the hole were twice as big for me, I could take him! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.

K-Slay 06-01-2007 06:50 PM

Tiger is estimated to be a +9, so 5 shots isn't to far off.

JTrout 06-01-2007 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fun question!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you don't think I need at least 5 shots?
You give me way too much credit! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

LimitGod 06-01-2007 07:34 PM

Most ppl dont realize that a +handicap means underpar scores.

I love telling ppl Im a +2 and hear them say "so you average 74?" No douchebag, I average 72 and shoot 70 when Im playing well.

fingokra 06-01-2007 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most ppl dont realize that a +handicap means underpar scores.

I love telling ppl Im a +2 and hear them say "so you average 74?" No douchebag, I average 72 and shoot 70 when Im playing well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people also don't realize handicap and average are entirely different. My last four rounds I shot 85, 73, 87, 75. If I keep this up (for 16 more rounds) I will be averaging 80 and be a 2 or 3 handicap (course rating changes depending on tees).