Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Stupid Wii widescreen question (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=508749)

4 High 09-25-2007 10:53 PM

Re: Stupid Wii widescreen question

Ill ask a PS3/360 WS question here.

I play normal DVDs on my Widescreen HDTV on both and the vast majority of movies still have bars. I thought WS TVs were supposed to eliminate bars. Is this common or am i doing something wrong?

JaredL 09-25-2007 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For the rest of you guys, is the Wii actually sending a 16:9 signal? When I hit the display button on my TV it says it's receiving a 480p 4:3 signal, even though (I've checked 5 times) I have 16:9 set in system settings.

[/ QUOTE ]

My tv is setup to automatically switch back and forth and does it for the wii. So for example, if I turn to NBC during an episode of the office it'll have bars but they go away if I switch the NBC HD channel. When I switch inputs to the component cables for the wii it automatically does it in widescreen.

Again for the Wii it automatically works in widescreen mode.

I have this tv if that matters.

edit: also I'm using 3rd party cables.

MrWookie 09-25-2007 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ill ask a PS3/360 WS question here.

I play normal DVDs on my Widescreen HDTV on both and the vast majority of movies still have bars. I thought WS TVs were supposed to eliminate bars. Is this common or am i doing something wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

16:9 TVs are wide, but not as wide as some movies. 16:9 is about 1.8:1. Some movies are shot at greater than 2:1. The aspect ratio is usually indicated on the DVD box.

Nicholasp27 09-26-2007 07:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dvds should have top/bottom bars, but not side bars

that is because there are a variety of aspects that films are shot in; the wider the dvd aspect, the larger the top/bottom bars

4 High 09-26-2007 08:22 AM

I always knew most DVDs had different ratios, i guess i just figured WS TVs would be set up to allow most of them to fill the screen.

Nicholasp27 09-26-2007 08:27 AM

if it fills the screen, then u can't be using the same ratio as the movie, so something is getting stretched or cropped...

ur tv is 1.85:1...if u play a dvd that is 2.21:1, then if u had it fill up ur screen, u'd miss the 2.21-1.85=.36 on the sides...it would have to just be cropped off

so u have 3 options:

a) watch with bars on top...this is preferred
b) stretch pic vertically to fill screen...u don't lose any of the picture, but people look taller
c) zoom to fill screen...u lose the sides of the picture

so yes, ur tv is setup to allow u to fill-up the whole screen, u just have to put it in zoom or 'stretch to fit' or whatever they call it mode

lampshade333 09-26-2007 03:19 PM

no comment, everything that needs to be said has been already.

goofyballer 09-26-2007 04:00 PM

Well, I'm still confused as [censored] as to why my Wii refuses to send out a 16:9 signal [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Nintendo's forums are busto so I don't really know where to go for help. I've seen the same problem alluded to by other people but none of them really explain it beyond "oh hit the wide button to stretch it", but like I said, if some of you guys are getting native 16:9 output, that means it's displaying at 720x480, whereas mine just stretches a 640x480 picture right now and thus is an inferior picture quality. Which sucks. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

JMa 09-26-2007 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I always knew most DVDs had different ratios, i guess i just figured WS TVs would be set up to allow most of them to fill the screen.

[/ QUOTE ]

WS TVs are in 16:9. Almost all films shot today are shot in 2.35:1. I have no idea why WS TVs arent in 2.35:1 considering this.

ra]\\[dom 09-26-2007 06:52 PM

Goofy, try wiichat.com forums. Unofficial, but one of the largest communities for Wii.