Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   fish commenting on my tight play (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=553636)

Frond 11-24-2007 06:33 PM

Re: fish commenting on my tight play

Just smile and move on

RedneckCracka 11-24-2007 06:43 PM

I would b.... slap him back to Bankok if he asked me something stupid like that!

Eder 11-24-2007 06:43 PM

Recently at MGM I shoved like 5x pot on river HU holding the nuts. My opponent remarked on my tight play while pondering a call...I told him if I had a decision against a nit like me I would just muck.
Table had a good laugh.

CORed 11-24-2007 06:45 PM

Don't say anything that will teach the fish how to play (most likely they won't listen, but why risk it) or piss them off so they don't want to play with you. Another thing you can do in a 2-5 spread limit game that might divert some attention is loosen up a bit in late position. If you've got lots of limpers ahead of you, you can profitably limp in with some suited trash -- one and two gappers, suited kings and queens, etc. This will make you appear to fit in with the fish without jeopardizing your bankroll. Your implied odds when limping are quite a bit higher than in a structured limit game.

ClubChamp04 11-24-2007 06:46 PM

You know the saying..."give some action to get some" no one wants to play with a rock.

blurred 11-24-2007 07:56 PM

Good thoughts. I'll try that in my play.

blurred 11-24-2007 07:57 PM

I think it's funny that I'm supposed to give give other people my $$$ to be polite. That's ridiculous. If they don't like my play, that's just too damn bad. I'm not there for charity.

bav 11-24-2007 09:40 PM

I once had a player at MGM NL1/2 start commenting on my tight play, which was actually more because I never saw two cards that looked at all alike at the same time for a couple hours. But he just kept on and on, initially kinda friendly about it, but then trended toward unpleasant. Eventually I snagged something I could play and raised to $12 pre-flop. This yahoo immediately yells out to the table "FOLD! EVERYBODY FOLD! Don't give him action! He doesn't give us action, don't give him action! Just lay down your hands. Teach him a lesson." I steamed quietly a while about this, since it's such a clear violation of rules, but decided this guy was SOOO good for the game I wasn't gonna say a thing, and I stayed pleasant and just kept with the smalltalk and ignored the fellow. He played every hand, raised with any two cards bigger than an 8, and was a calling station. But he'd also gotten lucky and turned $200 into $1000. By the time he left 2 hours later, he'd given it all back plus another $200. And of course he couldn't resist calling my raises once I started to pick up playable hands (probably convinced he had goaded me into playing crap). I even politely said good night to him as he left--you never know, he might be back the next night.

Most folks will get tired of trying to bully someone if the victim doesn't respond. Regardless they're trying to get you to change how you play. Giving in is playing their game.

As for whether you SHOULD change how you play with a loose and stupid batch of locals, well that's more a topic for the strategy boards.

SNOWBALL 11-24-2007 09:42 PM

obv pull a starting hand chart out of your pocket to vindicate your strategy

DrVanNostrin 11-24-2007 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
obv pull a starting hand chart out of your pocket to vindicate your strategy

[/ QUOTE ]
You should supplement this by showing your cards to your neighbor each hand. That way he'll be able to vouch for your perfect play.