Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Early Position Starting Hands (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=289531)

thirddan 12-22-2006 09:33 PM

Re: Early Position Starting Hands

whenever there is considerable preflop aggressin you have to tighten up when you act before the aggressor (mostly this means while in EP)...

no offense, but these questions might be more suitable for micro or ss...welcome to the forums...

Rbower 12-22-2006 09:59 PM

I never claimed to be a poker expert or even a decent player. I'm just learning. I think this is a great forum and I want to hear from people who know what they are talking about. Learning from books only goes so far and I don't have any poker playing friends. I appreciate your input.

sternroolz 12-23-2006 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I never claimed to be a poker expert or even a decent player. I'm just learning. I think this is a great forum and I want to hear from people who know what they are talking about. Learning from books only goes so far and I don't have any poker playing friends. I appreciate your input.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on the game lineup & how the other players are playing at any particular time. You're going to find that the advice often given in this forum is WAY to loose pf for games that are either very aggressive or loose aggressive. There is no real hard rule about which hands are playable preflop, and some of it will depend on your skill level as well. In very aggro games pf, I'll dump most every thing except 1010-AA and AK UTG, and open up only a little more UTG +1. In a loose passive game with 3-4 players to every flop and relatively little raising, I will play a lot more aggressively pf UTG or UTG+1, raising A10s or better, AJo or better, KQo, QJs and better, 77 or better pf. At a very lose passive table with 5-8 players to every flop and relatively little pf raising I will call with a huge range of hands in EP including any pp, any Axs, J10o, QJo, KQo, and raise a lot of hands including most of the hands you listed and also hands like 910s. I'll also limp with reasonable suited one and two gappers. Something like J9s.

In games with maniacs, EP is a problem because you have to worry not only about the maniac, but also how the other players are going to react to him. In this situation, I would play very tight before the flop, but also very aggressive postflop in an effort to isolate the maniac when I do have a hand that will have a reasonable chance to win at showdown. A very strong hand pf here makes it very easy to define where you stand postflop in comparison to the maniac.

Senor Choppy 12-23-2006 10:39 AM

You're starting hands from EP have very little impact on how tight you are overall. If you're talking about VPIP, yours is probably too low due to stealing too little from LP and not defending your blinds enough.

Rbower 12-23-2006 12:43 PM

What is VPIP and LP? If I'm first into a pot I always raise from any position in an attempt to steal the blinds. If someone is in steal position I do consider that when I'm defending.

thirddan 12-23-2006 01:37 PM

VPIP = voluntarily put money into the pot
LP = late position

in the game you describe with 4/5 players to the flop that is passive like most games you are missing profitable limping situations or making unprofitable raises in early if you are never limping first in...at a more aggro table or a table with a maniac you have to become much tighter and open limping is likely wrong...

in a loose/passive game im normally open limping UTG w/ all pairs, JTs, QTs, QJs, maybe A9s...

bdaddy 12-23-2006 05:02 PM

RBower- please buy, and read, and study, and read again Small Stakes Hold Em book by Ed Miller. It should be your bible for the games you're describing.

Rbower 12-23-2006 05:07 PM

I do remember one hand at the 8-16 table, not the day of my big loss, but the day before when I was winning. The table had gotten very passive so I limped in with pocket 2s UTG. I flopped a set and won a huge pot, because no one saw it coming. That's good advice about not always raising early. I think I was doing that too much considering the table I was at. Your comments make a lot of sense.