Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Value bet flushy river w/set? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=531491)

jakrpanda 10-26-2007 01:15 PM

Re: Value bet flushy river w/set?

[ QUOTE ]
Check/call is the worst possible line on the river.

I like a value bet of around 60% pot, and crying call if he shoves.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you would get more folds from villain using a shove on the river - hero has around 60BB behind and the pot is at 75+BB and villain would be wondering why we didn't put it all in ("maybe my hand _is_ good")

That is, if you plan on calling a raise anyway and putting it all-in, why not push and get some possible better hands to fold?

nazahl 10-26-2007 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
? what makes no sense about it... do u know what a value bet is?

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, afraid u dont though

Jamougha 10-26-2007 01:18 PM

Go all in.

Oct0puz 10-26-2007 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any significant bet on the river will put you all-in so imo you have two choices: check/fold or shove on the river.

What would I do? I would check/fold.

The turn bet was pretty large yet he just calls, like he fears nothing. Why? He's displaying strength through his calls so it's either a call bluff (to the river..?) or he's actually got a good hand. I say assume he's rational and lay down the hand when facing a large river bet. How often are we ahead here? If he checks it down then all the better. The pot is a good size.

I have one question though - how did the villain buy in for more than $100 at the .50/$1 level? You said he hasn't made any moves yet he is above $100. What gives?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hope that you missread the board and didn't see that we have a SET!!!!

jakrpanda 10-26-2007 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any significant bet on the river will put you all-in so imo you have two choices: check/fold or shove on the river.

What would I do? I would check/fold.

The turn bet was pretty large yet he just calls, like he fears nothing. Why? He's displaying strength through his calls so it's either a call bluff (to the river..?) or he's actually got a good hand. I say assume he's rational and lay down the hand when facing a large river bet. How often are we ahead here? If he checks it down then all the better. The pot is a good size.

I have one question though - how did the villain buy in for more than $100 at the .50/$1 level? You said he hasn't made any moves yet he is above $100. What gives?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hope that you missread the board and didn't see that we have a SET!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes we do have a set. On a board that gives sets the shivers. Possible flush + possible straight + villain smooth calling significant bets. Now we can read the writing on the wall or we can _hope_ we have the best hand and push. Myself, given NO reads, would check/fold and _sometimes_ push. It depends on the board but those are my two options. I'm not ruling out a river push, but having a set here doesn't mean we have the nuts so I'd play it accordingly.

HoldEmNewby 10-26-2007 01:40 PM

you only have $60 left just shove.

blah-blah-blah 10-26-2007 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you would get more folds from villain using a shove on the river - hero has around 60BB behind and the pot is at 75+BB and villain would be wondering why we didn't put it all in ("maybe my hand _is_ good")

That is, if you plan on calling a raise anyway and putting it all-in, why not push and get some possible better hands to fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol at getting a better hand to fold. if we shove its for value only. in the moment i probably just shove but I think villian folds hands to a shove that he calls w/ to a bet like $35 or so, so i like bet small and crying call if he shoves.

jakrpanda 10-26-2007 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol at getting a better hand to fold. if we shove its for value only. in the moment i probably just shove but I think villian folds hands to a shove that he calls w/ to a bet like $35 or so, so i like bet small and crying call if he shoves.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a benefit of the shove, not the reason. I was saying that in response to the check/call option and you could get an over set or a straight to fold on this obviously scary board. So sucket trebeck.

therealpk 10-26-2007 01:51 PM

i'm all for the c/c route. i don't want to fold this hand and villian will bluff at this card a lot.

SABR42 10-26-2007 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm all for the c/c route. i don't want to fold this hand and villian will bluff at this card a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]
What exactly would he be bluffing with?

Do people think about hand ranges before saying "check to induce bluff?"