Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Poll for med/hi stakes players - do you have a backup connection? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=446559)

Josem 07-09-2007 08:23 PM

Re: Poll for med/hi stakes players - do you have a backup connection?

the problem with dialup is the delay in reconnecting to the internet, and then the site.

it would not surprise me if this was too long for cash game pots, although obviously fine for tournaments, i guess.

the cost of two, redundant, internet connections that are always on (plus the load balancing router etc.) may not be cost effective, unless there were multiple players at one venue.

lawsoncb 07-09-2007 09:11 PM

yes, dial up is not going to be good enough to recoonect for the current hand.

pr0crast 07-10-2007 01:42 AM

If you have a Verizon phone get EVDO broadband for $15/mo. 700kbps, great for backup internet.

Josem 07-10-2007 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you have a Verizon phone get EVDO broadband for $15/mo. 700kbps, great for backup internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

How long do these technologies take to establish a new connection to the internet in the case of your main line being down?

BALLSDEEEP 07-10-2007 05:25 AM

Much easier to yell and break stuff when the internet goes down in the middle of a hand/tournament then to actually set up a 2nd connection.

Dave Coulier 07-10-2007 05:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The best thing i did was to purchase a UPS for the computer. It's already more than paid for itself.

If i start getting late into a tournament (or i think i'll need to go to the bathroom soon), i'll fire up the laptop which does both wireless and wired LAN. If cable craps out, i do have dialup...i think only on my laptop. It's been awhile since i tested it and since RoadRunner is converting to Comcast in Houston, i have no idea how that might change.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tough break with the Comcast. I have comcast here and its the absolute worst ISP EVAR! I thought Charter was bad, but Comcast typically goes down 1 or 2 times a week. Oddly enough If I unplug the coaxial cable and power cable to the modem for about 5 minutes it'll start working shortly afterwards, but not always. Its pretty much like playing Russian Roulette every time I play poker, but Im a micro donk who rarely plays so its not a big issue for me.

Hopefully Comcast will work better out there for you.