Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   .50/1 AK unimproved in position against TAG, turn and river play (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=546589)

Sushiglutton 11-15-2007 12:56 PM

Re: .50/1 AK unimproved in position against TAG, turn and river play

[ QUOTE ]
I cant see a worse hand calling and I cant see a better hand folding the river (so river bet is reaaaly bad). The rest seems expert, but I think you can bet the turn (for value).

[/ QUOTE ]

AQ, AJ? I can't see villain holding a better hand, so it's pretty safe.

cmcneilly 11-15-2007 01:24 PM

*grunch*

I think you've got it backwards. If you're looking for one more bet, you have a better chance of betting the turn. If he's on a draw (there's a diamond flush draw here), he'll call, but on the river, a bet will mostly either get you nothing, or a raise.

LukeSLTS 11-15-2007 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice avatar!

[/ QUOTE ]

That thing will give you a seizure if you stare long enough.

MacGuyV 11-15-2007 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I cant see a worse hand calling and I cant see a better hand folding the river (so river bet is reaaaly bad). The rest seems expert, but I think you can bet the turn (for value).

[/ QUOTE ]

AQ, AJ? I can't see villain holding a better hand, so it's pretty safe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bolded for truth.

Xylocain 11-15-2007 09:36 PM

OK, I was wrong [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] ... again ... are you calling a river raise as well?

MacGuyV 11-15-2007 11:53 PM

He's checkraising so infrequently that I don't really care.
I also bet the turn fwiw. Most decent players know that pf 3bet + turn check = hero is showing down.

Bulletproof Monk 11-16-2007 01:02 AM

bet the turn

river bet is thin but correct as played imo

maverickai 11-16-2007 02:18 AM

grunching, I might bet the turn. Given his tight stats prelfop is 12.5/5.6, and he raised, and he played so passively on the flop, I suspect you are already dominating his overcards. Unlikely he's holding QQ,KK,AA, as he didn't cap preflop. Maybe JJ, but he called you on the flop... too passive to be holding JJ. He's more likely to be holding AJ+, KQs.

Oblivious 11-16-2007 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like turn check as a bluff-inducer against any aggressive player. At this point, I'm usually either way ahead of another AQ/KQ or somesuch, or I'm drawing to six outs against something like 99. I don't mind letting villain have a free card in a small pot if he's drawing to a 3-outer, but I hate to get pushed off my hand if villain check-raises with 99. A lot of players can't stop themselves from automatically betting the river if I check the turn, so I think there's more value in calling a river bet than putting in a bet myself on the turn.

On this particular river against this particular opponent, I think you can stick in a bet for value. If he could beat you he probably would have led the river, and he might call with a weaker A-high.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was exactly my thinking. Checking the turn does three things:
1) Thwarts a checkraise, which i cant handle.
2) Allows me to draw for free if behind a hand like 99.
3) Hopefully induces a bluff on the river, which I of course call.

321action 11-17-2007 06:21 PM

I like this play but what do i know. against an aggressive opponant will often bet the river with a worse hand and you get a profitable calling spot but i dont like the river bet it negative value