Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Resolving Differences in Personal Preferences (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=384099)

Phil153 04-20-2007 10:25 PM

Re: Resolving Differences in Personal Preferences

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
pvn,

Crunchy peanut butter isn't used to put bullets in other people's flesh.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about candy, it's used to put diabetes in childrens blood.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, and some people are averse to sunlight. If you choose to ridicule my valid point, instead of pointing out the gaping flaws in the analogies of one your own, then your bias becomes exceedingly obvious.

Guns are a public safety issue, regardless of whether you think they help or hurt it. You guys agree with that every time you argue that armed citizens would help stop crime. So pvn is either being silly or dishonest comparing the issue to peanut butter preferences.

pvn 04-20-2007 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Guns will exist in all societies. The question is, what do you require from an individual to sell him a weapon?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no right to require anything of anyone else.

[ QUOTE ]
Should you have strict laws making it difficult owning a weapon or laws that benefits gun producers but "sadly" increases the death rates?

[/ QUOTE ]

How about neither?

pvn 04-20-2007 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pvn,

[/ QUOTE ]

You can choke on peanut butter. And some people are fatally allergic to it.

I have several guns, and none of them have ever put bullets into other people's flesh.

pvn 04-20-2007 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
pvn,

[/ QUOTE ]

What about candy, it's used to put diabetes in childrens blood.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, and some people are averse to sunlight. If you choose to ridicule my valid point, instead of pointing out the gaping flaws in the analogies of one your own, then your bias becomes exceedingly obvious.

Guns are a public safety issue, regardless of whether you think they help or hurt it. You guys agree with that every time you argue that armed citizens would help stop crime. So pvn is either being silly or dishonest comparing the issue to peanut butter preferences.

[/ QUOTE ]

Peanut butter is a public safety issue. There's even peanut butter control in Canada. You think I'm kidding?

http://www.calgaryallergy.ca/Article...feliberty.html

hmkpoker 04-20-2007 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I worry about handgun accidents hardly any more than I worry about peanut butter accidents.

Phil153 04-20-2007 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I worry about handgun accidents hardly any more than I worry about peanut butter accidents.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not talking about accidents. I'm talking about suicides, homicides, armed robberies. I don't remember the last time someone was threatened with a jar of peanut butter. And yes, peanut butter can be dangerous, which is why there are mandated warning labels, and the requirement to notify (or avoid) peanut products in some catered foods.

Also, pvn's original analogy is about forcing consumption of something, which is the opposite of taking it away. Notice how he shifts the goalposts later on, saying it is indeed a public safety issue, when he was originally talking about forcing someone to eat it.

Bottom line: to say that gun control is similar to forcing someone to eat peanut butter against his will is either silly or dishonest. At least own up to that.

pvn 04-20-2007 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I worry about peanut butter a lot more. I have kids, they have friends, I eat a lot of peanut butter (crunchy, of course). All sorts of crazy [censored] can happen.

pvn 04-20-2007 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bottom line: to say that gun control is similar to forcing someone to eat peanut butter against his will is either silly or dishonest. At least own up to that.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the same thing. It's a preference one person imposes on another.

Forcing you to do X, preventing you from doing Y, it makes no difference.

Dan. 04-20-2007 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Forcing you to do X, preventing you from doing Y, it makes no difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is forcing X to murder Y the same morally/ethically/otherwise as restraining X from murdering Y, while maintaining X's life?

Phil153 04-20-2007 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's the same thing. It's a preference one person imposes on another.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are road rules a preference one person imposes on another? Should they exist?