Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   A Personal Challenge To The Forum (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=553302)

Money2Burn 11-24-2007 10:38 AM

Re: A Personal Challenge To The Forum

[ QUOTE ]
So you "wouldn't mind" morality laws against gambling, alcohol, violence/sex in movies/videogames/television, or most stuff on the internet?

Sounds good.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the spirit of this thread, since these things cause a lot of problems for a significant portion of the population, yeah I would be ok with it.

As for me, welfare can be useful in a very limited sense if it's not abused. Public education could be ok with me too, since I believe if someone wants to learn they can reguardless of most scenerios they are faced with in this country.

bobman0330 11-24-2007 10:40 AM

-A high estate tax
-Higher unemployment benefits

pvn 11-24-2007 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What's the least harmful policy on the other side that you would half-heartedly support if you get almost all of your political views or platform immediately enacted? Basically, what are some of the least bad ideas you disagree with but wouldn't mind so much?

[/ QUOTE ]

At the federal level? Something like NOAA, perhaps?

surftheiop 11-25-2007 01:42 AM

Tax the ultra rich a little more or make inheritance taxes bigger. I figure if we have to steal someones money might as well be a dead guys

DVaut1 11-25-2007 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what are some of the least bad ideas you disagree with but wouldn't mind so much?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Overturn Roe v. Wade

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded.

hmkpoker 11-25-2007 02:41 PM

Ron Paul's anti-choice and anti-immigration platforms.

ojc02 11-25-2007 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Uhm... public fire department? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would've said the same thing but this is a bit worrying...

I would accept a fiat currency if the Fed would make it's goal be 0% inflation. According to my macro book by Mankiw we could maintain 0% inflation if we wanted, it would just be painful getting there; once we're there it would be essentially the same. Oh, and only if they actually implemented a reasonable CPI bundle and didn't change it to suit their purposes.

GoodCallYouWin 11-25-2007 03:05 PM

Health and safety regulations.

kudzudemon 11-27-2007 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So you "wouldn't mind" morality laws against gambling, alcohol, violence/sex in movies/videogames/television, or most stuff on the internet?

Sounds good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop polluting my thread with this garbage. I don't care about inane points you can find in 100 different posts on the forum. It's a philosophical challenge, not a freaking cakewalk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but juntmonkey makes a solid point. Your challenge that "religous morality is given a bad rap" and, I think, your assertion that it is something you'd be willing to live with is self delusional and indicative of why your question can't be answered simply. Most of the policies you may have been soliciting, from both sides, spring from similar ethical and spiritual thought, and can't be so easily divorced from one another.

Religious morality does not exist in a vacuum, and any attempt to use it as a legislative tool is almost sure to unleash the negative aspects Juntmonkey is alluding to.

You posted the original question (and a very interesting one, I think) to engage in dialogue and debate, and he just punched a little hole, fairly, in one of your answers to your "philosophical challenge". I don't think his point was inane at all.

That said, as a sort of lesser of evils argument, I would be willing to live with less government regulation of corporate environmental policies, and hope like hell the bastards could govern themselves.

If I misunderstood your "religious morality" argument, my apologies. But I tend to agree with Juntmonkey.