Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   ask me about fantasy baseball v.2007 (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=327473)

4 High 02-09-2007 03:29 PM

Re: ask me about fantasy baseball v.2007

Just read up on BP, Yahoo, ESPN etc. Keep on top of position battles, bench battles, pen depth, 6th starters etc. In AL only you have to get real specific as its obviously not as deep as Mixed. Just keep up on your reading and you should be ok.

Caldarooni 02-09-2007 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just read up on BP, Yahoo, ESPN etc. Keep on top of position battles, bench battles, pen depth, 6th starters etc. In AL only you have to get real specific as its obviously not as deep as Mixed. Just keep up on your reading and you should be ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have explained further. Its a very tough league. If I only kept up on my reading I would get killed every year. Most know how many RBIs they need to win a category, have their projections, and bid to get that number, etc.
While the major league pool is smaller, there is a lot of value in finding the stud for next year, thus knowing the minor leagues well is important.

I am asking what seperates the best fantasy players from just the good.

LBJ 02-09-2007 03:46 PM

Just a general question.

The way my league is set up is completely retarded. I just became commish this year and have been pushing for changes but I've only successfully made one change that would make this league a bit more normal.

9 offensive positions (C, 1b, 2b, 3b, ss, 2 of, 2 ut)
6 pitchers (2 sp, 2 rp, 2 p)

8 X 6 scoring system

offense- runs, 2b, 3b, hr, rbi, steals, avg, k (i just got singles eliminated)
pitching- wins, era, whip, k, sv, cg

What should my draft strategy be? Because of the increased attention on offense what type of players should I look for? This is most likely an auction draft, so I can basically mold my team to my desires.

Should be a different strategy than a 5X5 league, just need some specifics. I won this league last year, so I got down the basics, just wanna know what others would do...

4 High 02-09-2007 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have explained further. Its a very tough league. If I only kept up on my reading I would get killed every year. Most know how many RBIs they need to win a category, have their projections, and bid to get that number, etc.
While the major league pool is smaller, there is a lot of value in finding the stud for next year, thus knowing the minor leagues well is important.

I am asking what seperates the best fantasy players from just the good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Information really. If you are in a league with people who are fully informed then its always going to be tough. Your prolly going to have to risk more via the Waiver wire and trades. Dont hold onto so so guys for too long if theres someone with potential out there. Always be there when new players are added so you can get first dibs. Dont make it any harder then it is really.

crockpot 02-09-2007 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
6x6 (oba, slg instead of average, holds for relievers), 12 teams

Freddy Sanchez at $10 for Jason Isringhausen at $17.

Your thoughts on Chris Young (OF AZ), Curtis Granderson, and Brad Wilkerson? These are all PECOTA peculiarities, IMO.

What about the young second basemen Weeks vs Cano vs Kinsler vs Kendrick.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not that high on sanchez this year, but i don't think isringhausen is worth nearly $17 in this setup, given his injury risk and that holds are worth as much as saves. he's probably a borderline top-50 reliever in this league.

i think chris young is going to be a monster, a top 10-15 OF, if he plays full-time. pecota is not the only projection system that has him going 20-20 in roughly 500 at bats. with a full time job, he should move up in the order and get 600. if you get him in the oba/slg instead of avg league, even better.

i don't really think granderson's and wilkerson's pecotas are that far off. wilkerson's does look pretty bad, but his 2006 had few redeeming qualities.

as for the second basemen, in a single-season league i rank them thusly:

kendrick
kinsler
cano
weeks

in a keeper:

kendrick
weeks
cano
kinsler

crockpot 02-09-2007 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
14 team league, standard rules, keep 5 :

Bobby Abreu, Robinson Cano, Matt Holliday, Paul Konerko, Hideki Matsui, Frank Thomas, Juan Pierra, Scott Rolen Scott Kazmir, Erik Bedard, Brad Lidge.

I'm thinking Abreu, Cano, Holliday, Konerko and Kazmir, thoughts?

Should I be looking at making an Abreu for 2 type deal?

[/ QUOTE ]

pierre might be a little better than abreu, especially when your other keepers give you little in steals.

i doubt anyone will give you two keepers for abreu, but maybe you can package him and pierre for one player.

westside8 02-09-2007 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Beltran would be a first round pick and Utley 2nd most liely. Reyes is top 5 material and Peavy is like round 4-6 material if hes healthy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm...IMO..Reyes is definitely top 5, and I believe Beltran and Utley are both first rounder. I am leaning Peavy towards his last year areas, late second early third.

crockpot 02-09-2007 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
16-team 5x5 league with minors...salary cap instead of keepers, but i have no cap worries

i've been offered Russell Martin and Jeff Niemann (sp?) for Nick Swisher...overall my offense is weak and i have VTek at C. i have more OF than i need...I've got the league's best pitching staff, so even if Neimann breaks through this year, i likely wouldn't play him until 08

[/ QUOTE ]

even if you're not near the cap, i think dollar values are necessary to answer this one.

my initial instinct is to reject. in a really deep league, position scarcity becomes less important relative to absolute numbers. martin doesn't really look like a huge upgrade over tek.

why not trade some pitching?

crockpot 02-09-2007 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bobby Abreu (NYY - OF)
Josh Barfield (Cle - 2B)
Jason Bay (Pit - OF)
Carl Crawford (TB - OF)
Chone Figgins (LAA - 2B,3B,OF)
Adrián González (SD - 1B)
Víctor Martínez (Cle - C,1B)
David Ortiz (Bos - 1B)
Édgar Rentería (Atl - SS)
José Reyes (NYM - SS)
Mark Teixeira (Tex - 1B)
Chad Tracy (Ari - 1B,3B,OF)
Rickie Weeks (Mil - 2B)
David Wright (NYM - 3B)

Pitching

Boof Bonser (Min - SP)
Zach Duke (Pit - SP)
Roy Halladay (Tor - SP)
Scott Olsen (Fla - SP)
Roy Oswalt (Hou - SP)
Chris Ray (Bal - RP)
B.J. Ryan (Tor - RP)
Takashi Saito (LAD - RP)
Ben Sheets (Mil - SP)
José Valverde (Ari - RP)
Chris Young (SD - SP)

Keep 12. Who should i be keeping? 10 or so are obvious, the rest are not.

[/ QUOTE ]

bay, crawford, ortiz, wright, teixeira, reyes, oswalt, sheets, ryan, halladay, figgins, vmart. you may want to keep weeks over figgins for the future if you're confident with your margin of victory as is.

i feel sorry for the rest of your league, unless it's a 5-teamer or something, because you're going to destroy them.

crockpot 02-09-2007 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
10 team 10 keeper. Standard 5x5
I'll be keeping:
Morneau
Utley
Weeks
Wright
Beltran
Zito
Kazmir
Bonderman
Zumaya
Jenks

Been offered Peavy + Reyes for Beltran + Utley. I am demanding for more on his side but how much more realistically can I get?

[/ QUOTE ]

i can't really answer that without more information. if you can get a good third player, it could be a deal worth making so you don't waste a keeper spot on zumaya or zito.

perosonally, i think all three of the big names in this deal are overrated this year. beltran had a much bigger year than expected, and second base and shortstop are deeper than you'd think.

peavy should have a nice bounceback; his 2006 peripherals were still excellent.