Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Ultimate Frisbee (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=485834)

emon87 08-25-2007 02:14 AM

Re: Ultimate Frisbee

[ QUOTE ]
Do people call it Ultimate because Frisbee sounds too childish and easy to dismiss as a serious endeavor?

[/ QUOTE ]No, they call it that because it was invented by hippies.

emon87 08-25-2007 02:16 AM

Also, to NT!:

I just realized this is technically a "sporting event" thread but the point was more to find out who in OOT plays, rahter than actually discuss a specific game. So it belongs more here, IMO, because I don't care who in SE plays since I don't post there.

But move it/lock it if you must.

7ontheline 08-25-2007 02:17 AM

One of the problems with Ultimate (and I have no idea why it's called that instead of Frisbee, Duke) is that there is a fairly sizeable learning curve before you can get any good. A lot of the kids you see playing it in college suck horribly. The elite teams in college and beyond are training as much as any other club sport though. I watched the Wisconsin men's team's practices a little this past year (they won the national title) and their track workouts were sick. Watching good teams play can be breathtaking at times. There are definitely awesome athletes playing - of course not at the level of pro sports, but for instance one of the players on the Chicago men's team was a former cornerback at Georgia Tech.

emon87 08-25-2007 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Youtube videos?

Links?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is one.

Also, definitely check out the clips of the day on www.ultivillage.com as the poster above said.

emon87 08-25-2007 02:20 AM

What is Ultimate?

emon87 08-25-2007 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
tons of kids played it at my college. i think its pretty boring compared to othe sports.

[/ QUOTE ]

An Ultimate game played by novices is going to look and be a lot worse than a football/softball/basketball game played by novices simply because the average person doesn't know how to play Ultimate at all, whereas the average person has some idea of how to play the major sports, due to seeing them on TV and playing them as a kid.

7ontheline 08-25-2007 02:30 AM

Best thing about Ultimate IMO is the community. I can go to practically any city and meet people and have a game. I have played pickup in Taipei and Singapore without knowing anybody before I showed up at the field.

kidcolin 08-25-2007 02:35 AM

I never played very competitively, but I was one of the better kids in our pickup games. A few kids from the Boston University team would come play with us because it was a really fun game/less hardcore.

It's fun as hell, I know that.

I guess I'm technically a novice, but what I noticed that most people tend to suck at is making runs/moving without the disc. Maybe there's some intricacies of Ultimate that I'm not aware of, but just from playing soccer I sort of got the "flow" of the game pretty early on.

AceCR9 08-25-2007 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Never played, is this the frisbee golf? if it is, i have a "course" nearby, Can you post rules,or link to rules?

[/ QUOTE ]

www.pdga.com

course listings, official tournament rules, lists of worldwide tournaments.

Duke 08-25-2007 02:52 AM

Guy jumps over another guy in ultimate frisbee

I just figured that this was a neat link I'd seen that is related to this topic.