Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   breaking vegetarians (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=501064)

gumpzilla 09-14-2007 02:30 PM

Re: breaking vegetarians

[ QUOTE ]
What would be the purpose of doing this? Just to be a douche?

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly they are mere vegetarian sheep, and have never considered the apparent awesomeness of meat.

EDIT: Seriously, I've never really understood the fascination with trying to prod vegetarians into eating meat. If I were dating one it might be a little different, but otherwise I don't get it.

pokergrader 09-14-2007 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sounds kinda weird. how about just letting them be happy w/ their lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

JaBlue 09-14-2007 02:34 PM

haha, you guys, she's at least somewhat willing to be coerced. She is only vegetarian now because of the treatment of the animals; she said she has no problem with the killing - think, food chain - but with the treatment. We passed a place selling humane meat and she said she had no issue with it but was simply scared to try it. She doesn't SEEM like the type to not try new things, so I figured there might be some way to get her to do it. I might try to take her to a nice sushi place, get her some maki and see how it goes...

I think she is afraid to like meat, like most vegetarians (i hypothesize), because she's had it in her head so long that eating animals is a bad thing.

JaBlue 09-14-2007 02:36 PM

haha, you guys, she's at least somewhat willing to be coerced. She is only vegetarian now because of the treatment of the animals; she said she has no problem with the killing - think, food chain - but with the treatment. We passed a place selling humane meat and she said she had no issue with it but was simply scared to try it. She doesn't SEEM like the type to not try new things, so I figured there might be some way to get her to do it. I might try to take her to a nice sushi place, get her some maki and see how it goes...

I think she is afraid to like meat, like most vegetarians (i hypothesize), because she's had it in her head so long that eating animals is a bad thing.

edit: also, yes, this is girlfriend

edit2: i would never force her, my goal is just to get her to try it. From what she's said, she has very little reason not to IMO and it would give her way more options AND not be a total pain in my ass whenever we want to eat together. And yes, that is one of the big motivations

actual edit 3: whoops can soomeone delete the post above?

otnemem 09-14-2007 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One of my friends was a life-long vegetarian. We all tried to convince her how great meat was but she wasn't having any of it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Again, don't get it at all. I did this when I was like 18 and found out my friend became a vegetarian. When I think back to it, I feel like an ignorant [censored]. And I'm not a vegetarian. But there's absolutely no reason to resent someone for not eating meat (unless they're preachy/posers, etc).

And to OP: Do you also try to prod recovering alcoholics into coming out for just one drink? It's obvious that she thinks there's something wrong with the treatment of animals, and thus has issues eating them. Vegetarianism is something that takes crazy discipline. Why would you try to "break" her?

rutang 09-14-2007 02:39 PM

i doubt sushi is the way to win over a lifelong vegetarian, and just because she's "somewhat willing to be coerced" doesn't make you less of an ass for trying.

amplify 09-14-2007 02:42 PM

get her to blow you, then slip in a bratwurst

Fast Food Knight 09-14-2007 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sophomore year in college,

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I did this when I was like 18 and found out my friend became a vegetarian.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.

JaBlue 09-14-2007 02:44 PM

gimme a break, [censored]. It doesn't make me an [censored] for trying to get her into meat. I'm not going to do anything deceptive, repeated, or mean. I'm not going to constantly beg her to try meat and make her feel bad for not doing so if she says no to my best plan. I just want to have a good idea for what that penultimate offer should be. If she doesn't go for it I'm not going to incessantly argue with her about something that will obviously not change.

that "breaking" in the title must have really pissed you guys off, guess you just don't understand cruel meat-eater humor

RoundGuy 09-14-2007 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But there's absolutely no reason to resent someone for not eating meat (unless they're preachy/posers, etc).

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly. I have complete respect for vegans -- until they get on their high horse and tell me what an immoral, unethical human being I am. Which, unfortunately, seems to happen about every other time I talk to one.