Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Why is America so obsessed with being "buff"? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=203321)

tpir 09-03-2006 06:53 PM

Re: Why is America so obsessed with being \"buff\"?

[ QUOTE ]
Why is it that a good portion of the population just cannot stop working out?

[/ QUOTE ]
What does this even mean? Define good portion.

theben 09-03-2006 06:54 PM

-yeah, i'm small

-3 years is more than enough time to get very big. with steroids, lots of supplements and a rigorous workout plan, you can also get very strong within 12 months. do you ever do to the gym? If yes, you should know that under those conditions, you can get pretty big quickly

-I live in the south and attend a public school. Where I attend class, people are just generally rude, ignorant, and weren't raised very well. I'd say if you created some way to measure the amount of meatheads in a school and ranked all the universities in this country, mine would undoubtedly be in the top-3.

guids 09-03-2006 06:54 PM

Social pressure and chicks is the only reason 99% of the male population from 14-35 does anything on a regular basis.

You must be joking right? Is this really what you think? You need to find new friends if this is what your perception of reality is. There are some things that, of course, you do for chicks/social pressure, but there isnt much that I do. I do what I do, for me, if I cared what anyone else thought, I actually wouldnt do about 99% of the things I do.

Peter Harris 09-03-2006 06:54 PM

i'm happy just staying in shape, i'm never going to push to buff-town. But exercise is goot for you!

theben 09-03-2006 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, this post was made with current college-aged guys in mind. I will most definitely agree that if anything, the general, older, population should start hitting the gym more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I made that assumption about your original post. I also agree that with older people, excersize/diet needs to be much more frequent. I feel that the whole college gym bug/meathead syndrome is incredibly widespread

guids 09-03-2006 07:00 PM

-I live in the south and attend a public school. Where I attend class, people are just generally rude, ignorant, and weren't raised very well.

I dont get where meatheads and being douchebags are correlated then, you just go to a school with a bunch of douchebags, I doubt it has anything to do with the gym.

Rarely do you have someone start steroids right off the bat, to get "grotesque" as you put it, you need a lot of gym time, a lot of steroids. I think you are blowing things out of porportion really.

sushijerk 09-03-2006 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Social pressure and chicks is the only reason 99% of the male population from 14-35 does anything on a regular basis.

You must be joking right? Is this really what you think? You need to find new friends if this is what your perception of reality is. There are some things that, of course, you do for chicks/social pressure, but there isnt much that I do. I do what I do, for me, if I cared what anyone else thought, I actually wouldnt do about 99% of the things I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind I'm coming out of a college environment. I see ridiculous trends every year (sunglasses at night, popped polos, the whole emo/scenester phenom, trucker hats...) that are embraced and ditched on a monthly basis. I can think of no other explaination other than social pressure/chicks for all these things.

BaHorst 09-03-2006 07:04 PM

Their called endorphins. working out makes you feel good. It boosts your self-esteem, which makes life that much better. True, some ppl take it too far, but it's better than being overweight. So keep on workin out.

guids 09-03-2006 07:05 PM

Right, well, thats college douche bag stuff, maybe 99% of the small circle of peopel that you know act like this, but in no way is that representative of the general population. I never had the normal college experience, I had my own apartment, I went to class for 3 hours a day, didnt talk to no one, then I went home. You need to figure out that the real world, and college are way diff, before you spout your "observations".

Alobar 09-03-2006 07:10 PM

I think most guys do it for chicks. When I was 18ish I was huge into it, as were all my friends. I got older, and my exercise priorities changed.

Its like any exercise tho, its good for you, it makes you feel good about yourself and life, and so thats why people continue to do it past whatever reason they started doing it for (read: chicks)