Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Full Ring (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   New player needing help :) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=523935)

swainy 10-16-2007 07:42 AM

Re: New player needing help :)

[ QUOTE ]

I never buy in full. I dont see the point. Most of the time, I will have a full stack once I get into my session. Now, If I do get involved on the wrong end, I at least minimized my losses somewhat.

[/ QUOTE ]

what about when you're at the right end? surely you lose significant value on your big hands by minimising your wins?

pattay 10-16-2007 11:13 AM

IMO, buying in half stack is easier cause you have easier decisions, the same way that shortstacks have easier decisions than half stackers. you just lose so much value because people will stack off with marginal hands to full stackers just like half stackers, and youre crippling your winrate (assuming youre a winning player) by not buying in full

Dennisa 10-16-2007 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I never buy in full. I dont see the point. Most of the time, I will have a full stack once I get into my session. Now, If I do get involved on the wrong end, I at least minimized my losses somewhat.

[/ QUOTE ]

what about when you're at the right end? surely you lose significant value on your big hands by minimising your wins?

[/ QUOTE ]

For an example, if my bankroll is 2K I can buy in full at NL 100 or short at NL 400 ($80-$100), I still win about the same gross amount. The difference is in the hands I play at each game.

NL Newbie 10-16-2007 12:04 PM

Whatever suite you and maximises your hourly or winrate(Depends what your aiming for).

Buying in for half or short is stupid if your a good player. "Minimising your loss" is absolute [censored] and makes me LOL. You minimise your gain to...duh.

If your to scared to buy in for full then move down IMO, clearly not ready for the higher level yet.

Northern 10-16-2007 01:15 PM

IMO I don't see the point in buying in with a half stack, sure you limit your losses but you also limit your wins. If you are a good player I would much rather play with a full stack and risk a suckout rather than being a large favourite with only a medium stack, your lsoing value.

When I began playing I bought in with half stacks and I know it limited my playing/learning. The way I see it buy-in as a shortstack or buy-in full.

pkbj1632 10-16-2007 02:45 PM

All the answer to the half stack issue include the paragraph """ IF you are a good player"""..

ok, IF i Don't know If I am a good player???

sometimes i dont want to play for stakes, just becasuse i Dont know if that is the right play.
I know i am limiting my profit too, but i limit the variance too. I think maybe that is enough reason...
I found that in half stacked i have enough to "play poker":
i can por/pot/pot (if the play ask that)
I have Enough FE in the flop (maybe 30/40 BB at least) son i can C/bet as full
I can 3-bet pre and pos flop, enought to fear the villan missing C-bet..

And, profit for 50 BB sometimes is enough....
Etc..
What do you think??

toxzen 10-16-2007 05:15 PM

If you don't know if you're a good player move down in stakes play enough hands to find out. I don't understand the logic of all this buying in half or even short. If you're scared or don't know how to play 1 or more street you should be working on becoming a better player and not for the profit SSing gets you imo. When I sit down at a table the first thing I'm looking at are vpip/pfr and how many half stacks there are. The more the better [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]