Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   High Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   big pot versus super lag live (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=514284)

Thinkards 10-03-2007 02:47 PM

Re: big pot versus super lag live

LA,

His putting you on a flush draw makes sense, but not a weak pocket-pair.

Once you called his reraise preflop and then raised him hard on the flop, he can't be thinking you are holding 33 or something. So, the worst he can think you are holding is TT or JJ, A6 (suited), or a big flush draw. By not betting the turn, you are allowing him a free shot at making a better hand on the river, and denying yourself the chance to either win a nice pot right there, or get extra money in if a diamond should hit the river.

Thus, in a rare case of treating a hold 'em hand like a stud hand, this is a situation where if you think you have the best hand, you probably should be betting it.

TK

DJ Sensei 10-03-2007 04:19 PM

looks good to me on all streets

raptor517 10-03-2007 10:10 PM

i dont tank at all i snap shove turn as fast as i can.

ob1 10-04-2007 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont tank at all i snap shove turn as fast as i can.

[/ QUOTE ]

easily the best reply to this thread (.)

Betcheckraise 10-04-2007 02:40 AM

got to reraise the turn, no other logical choice.

Oki-Oki 10-04-2007 03:41 AM

I like how you played it especially if he like to bluff/bet at perceived weakness.

billybeartku 10-04-2007 04:01 AM

so what did he have?

LAgambol 10-04-2007 02:29 PM

after i called, he held his hand to muck and said your good, i flipped over my hand and he folded. my turn play is key, i figure if i bet out he would have folded at that point. by checking behind, he bluffed at my 'weak' turn play. i wouldn't be surprised if he had a hand like AQss or a medium pocket pair.

DeMaci 10-04-2007 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
after i called, he held his hand to muck and said your good, i flipped over my hand and he folded. my turn play is key, i figure if i bet out he would have folded at that point. by checking behind, he bluffed at my 'weak' turn play. i wouldn't be surprised if he had a hand like AQss or a medium pocket pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems like a very standard live check for me, almost everytime. Online people always bet? Just different I guess, anyways, nice hand well played.

ipokeder 10-04-2007 03:42 PM

the dynamic i think is probably a lot different online because there's a lot more regular bluffing and semibluffing that goes on online, whereas in live, 3-betting and playing mad aggro probably isn't as pervasive a part of the game so balancing turn shove frequencies and handranges isn't really much of a concern and people tend to think more in terms of maximizing a single hand EV

it might also be because when playing 20 hands an hour, it's a lot harder to think about long-term EV maximization since the long-term EV will take a few weeks to get that situation to pay itself off, whereas online you may get the same kind of situation multiple times in a session where it pays off with much closer proximity to the immediate-EV decision.

but i never play live so i really have no idea!